[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - new grey screaming

new grey screaming

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

new grey screaming

Postby merlin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello Merlin ,

As I was searching in the internet trying to gain some information about how to take care of my Junior (AG),I found your web site and your email address. The first issue I’m facing now, is that Junior is screaming every time I get near his cage , and I don’t know how to gain his trust and make him comfortable and get used to me. He is almost 1 year old but i am not really sure of that. Some feathers had been cut from his wings and tail .

Any advice will be highly appreciated .

Ahmad
merlin
Site Admin

Re: new grey screaming

Postby merlin » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Ahmad,

Junior is very lucky to have a new loving owner like you! I'm not sure what you mean by wing and tail feathers cut, but it sounds like the precious little boy may have gone through some abuse. This would obviously make him even more terrified of human hands, so you've got a few issues going on here. It sounds like Junior may be a little phobic right now.

It will take time for you to build trust with Junior. First, make sure his cage is in a safe, quiet area of your home, hopefully in a corner area where he has a wall on a few sides of the cage (at least 2 sides). This will help him feel calmer faster because he will only have a few sides of his cage that he would need to "guard." It would also help to have the cage area in the opposite part of the room from the entering door, so he will be able to see you before you get up to the cage. Surprising a nervous bird is the LAST thing you want to do because it will make him MORE fearful. So, keep eveything calm, calm, calm. Make sure the lighting in the room is not too bright and everything around him is calm. PLease try not to have any clutter in the area.

When you approach the cage, make a little sound first to let him know you are coming into the room. Then walk in quietly and at a diagonal and do not have direct eye contact with him. Direct eye contact will make him feel you are a predator. Always make sure that you make the same soft sound before entering the room so he knows you are coming.

When you put food in the cage and clean it, avoid direct eye contact with him as he screams. Go about your business slowly and talk to him calmly. Different times of the day, sit on the floor below his cage and talk, sing or read to him. Tell how special he is and how much you love him. Tell him that he's safe and nothing will happen to him. Sit as close to the cage as he feels comfortable. You may need to start out by sitting farther away from the cage in the beginning. As he gets used to you, then move closer... a few inches or feet over a period. This will depend on how quickly he is able to calm down.

When you are able to sit close to the cage, you may start to offer him some treats. Pick a good treat like cashews, peanuts, or sunflower seeds. Break them into bits and offer a bit from your fingers to him through the cage bars. You want to break them into bits so you can do this pretty often. You could serve cashew bits or one sunflower seed at a time. Whatever you choose for a treat do not serve to him in the cage and only do it from your hands. It is a reward treat and will help you build a relationship with Junior. Make sure he WANTS the treat or it won't work. Praise also works. So praise him a lot about being a good boy.

For now, do mainly these things. Do not try to handle him. Do not force him to do anything. Just be there for him and let him feel your love. Things WILL turn around. Just let it be slowly on HIS timetable, instead of yours.

Please keep us posted.
Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Re: new grey screaming

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:24 pm

I spoke brieflly with Ahmad and Junior is doing well.
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions