[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Traveling 500 miles with my Grey

Traveling 500 miles with my Grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Traveling 500 miles with my Grey

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

I hope you are able to help. I was awarded my African grey in a divorce settlement. The problem is that he is over 500 miles away and I plan on driving down to pick him up along with his cage and toys. I am planning putting him in a travel case and getting him home as fast as I can. Would doing this be traumatic to him? What is the best way to minimize it for him? It’s also been over a year and half since I have seen him. Not a day went by that I didn’t miss him or think about him. Do you think that he still will remember me? How best can I go about reintroducing him into this new life? Maybe I am just over thinking everything, but I want to make sure everything I do is the right thing for him. He was always closer to me I was the one he bonded with.
Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.

Regards,
Frank
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Traveling 500 miles with my Grey

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Dear Frank,
YES! Your grey will remember you and will be overjoyed to be with you! Your note added sunshine to my heart. This will be a happy, happy bird! If you've been thinking about him daily... HE has been doing the same about you. It may appear that he's upset to see you, but that is just the initial shock. Give him the time to come out of it. But also, as you head your way to get him, think of him and tell him mentally that you are coming to get him. He WILL pick that up telepathically.

Now to the trip. You have actually contacted an expert at this, as I have traveled with my Merlin and Sweetpea to over 11 states and have taken Merle to Bermuda and Europe. We also traveled from NYC to Phoenix AZ by car to live and my three greys were so happy because they had my attention by being in the car with them and sleeping in motel rooms together. They also loved my loud music and talking games. Below is a link for travel hints:
http://www.africangreys.com/hints/travel.htm

Overall, make the trip fun. If your grey has never been in a car, someone who has him now should take him on short little car trips in a travel carrier to help him get used to it. Things like, overpasses, windshield wipers, tunnels and so on, may make him nervous at first. If that happens, come up with a sound like WHEEE and act like it is all fun. It is just an issue of getting used to the unknown. If the person who has him now cannot or will not do it, I suggest that you do it with him a little on the day before you set out for the big drive.

I've found the Best Westerns to be super places to stay with my birds. They are pet friendly and are everywhere. I also found the fast food place places called something like Sapparo's that have healthy steamed veggies to be good places to get veggies... as well as getting foods from grocery stores in different cities. I also asked for motel rooms to have refrigerators in the room.

Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes. If you have more questions, please contact me again.
Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

He will most certainly remember you. My husband was deployed for a year and my whole flock was thrilled(and very vocal) about daddy being home. As Maggie said, he may show you he's upset at first...may turn his back, preen or just sneek peaks at you as he is pretending to ignore you. That is usually short lived.
You may wish to get some ginger root and make a water solution out of it in the event he gets car sick. I would also suggest covering most of the cage in the car so things arent wizzing by and making it scarey.
I'm so happy your little loved one is coming home. Keep us informed!
Lisa A. Bono

Postby merlin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:40 am

Maggie,
This weekend I was finally able to go pick up my bird and I have to thank you for your advice. I am sure following your tips really made his trip so much better. It was a long ride for him and he was nervous, but it went much better than I had expected. He really seems to be happy even with all the changes to his environment. I am so surprised how in less than a day he seemed like his old self and yes I can say for sure he did remember me and that is such a wonderful feeling. He has been chatting up a storm. Thank you again. You are amazing and I know your advice really made this so much better for my little guy and the two of us having been having a great time getting to know each other again,

Bless you,
Frank
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:42 am

Frank,
Thank you for such a kind note! I'm thrilled that the two of you were able to get back together.

Many Blessings!
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 pm

This makes my heart sing. I am am happy things went well and you are together again!
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions