[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Interested in a Grey

Interested in a Grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Interested in a Grey

Postby merlin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:27 am

Hi Maggie,

I have wanted an African Grey for a long time but not sure if I am the right human for one. I have a 4-year old siamese cat named Mushu and he is my angel and buddy. He is very affectionate and very chatty. He has been fixed and de-clawed and does not go outside. He has met a few hamsters and guinea pigs and is very interested but scared of them. He is good with other cats. He has never seen a bird since he is an indoor cat. I am not sure how he would react to a bird or how a Grey would like him. I have had birds and cats in the past and they got along fine.

I went to a website: www.mytoos.com and realized that a Cockatoo is not for me because they require a lot of time/attention and I live alone and work at least 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (like most people I know). That website has scared me out of getting a bird.

I am wondering if a Grey is the right bird for me? Or am I being ignorant and selfish for wanting one of these wonderful, amazing companion? How much time do they require that you spend with them everyday? I will not be home for approximately 9 hours during the day, is this too much time away? Please be honest. I don't want to be one of those people who gets a bird and then realizes that they do not have enough time to spend with them.

Thank you for your great website.
Kris
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Interested in a Grey

Postby merlin » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:29 am

Hi Kris,

My answer to you is to go with your heart. If you want a Grey, then please get one. As long as you closely supervise Mushu and your new grey companion, it should work out fine. Greys CAN get along with cats and many end up being able to manipulate the dogs and cats of the family. Many end up being friends with the cats. But the most important thing is to be sure to supervise their interactions. Also, let Mushu KNOW that no matter what, your Grey is family and should never be "messed with." Animals are smart and they know not to do something when their humans communicate it to them. Keep them separated when you are not present... at least until you know and are sure they will get along.

Many Grey pet humans work for a living... and they work away from home. An eight hour day away from home should not be a problem, as long as you can let your grey companion out for about 3 hours at night when you are home. They do need a lot of attention, but you can still have a life. If you are away in the day and night, that would be a problem. But as long as you are able to give attention at night... most nights, it should work. You also have the weekends.

So again, Kris, if it is your heart's wish to live with one of the most fantastic creatures on Earth, then go for it! Let me know what happens.

Blessings,
Maggie-

PS: Thanks for the compliment on the website!
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Interested in a Grey

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 am

I agree with Maggie. If a grey is in your heart, follow it. It may very well end up your best friend. It is a commitment and they can live a long time. Most people end up telling me that their grey is a very important part of their family and couldnt imagine life without them. I know I am in that catagory! Best wishes and please let us know how it turns out.
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions