[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - New baby grey

New baby grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: New baby grey

Postby merlin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:30 am

Hello Ali,

First, I'm truly sorry about the loss of your first grey. It must have been devastating to have lost him. I understand WHY this would make you so nervous about your second one. But please try to relax and not worry and study so hard. If you are "looking" for something that may be wrong with your baby, she may pick up on your anxiety and fears about her welfare and get nervous. Greys are very telepathic and pick up on each others' feelings, including their humans. She would not understand exactly what you're thinking, but could pick up on YOUR nervousness about "doing what's right" and feel nervous herself that something is wrong. So, please try to relax.

Wild caught greys are no longer sold in America since it has been against the law to sell them since 1993... that is, unless you had an older one that was imported to the US before that time. Therefore, I'm assuming that you are from out of the country. Therefore, I'm also assuming that this precious baby now in your life is not a socialized baby grey. If this is true, the first thing you need to do is to establish a strong of bond of trust with this baby. Actually, even if it is socialized, the bond of trust is always the most important first step in a relationship.

It is difficult to write to you about the nipping and growling problem without more information. Please submit another post and explain to us what the situation is like. Please describe what happens. What are you doing with her before she growls and/or nips? Please describe the situation in detail and we will be better able to help you.

Usually if a baby is nipping and growling, it is feeling fear of something that you are doing. Step back and move more slowly with her to build that trust relationship first. That can start with such simple things as you spending time with her by the cage, talking to her, reading to her and singing to her.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Re: New baby grey

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm

hi Ali. I am sorry for the loss of your little love. I can relate. I lost my beloved boy at the age of 2.5 and I could not imagine life without one. We were able to find one and I was so upset because he was not like the one I lost. I learned that each one is different and it was not the babies job to take my pain away. As time passed, I found out what a special little boy my new baby was and he is my heart. It took time. Yes, you will compare.....even if you dont mean to....I think we all do....it's human nature.

The important thing is to relax and work with baby. As Maggie said let us know what is happening prior and after the growl.
Baby may feel things are moving too quick and trust has to be built first.
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions