[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - raising 2 AG babies at one time

raising 2 AG babies at one time

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

raising 2 AG babies at one time

Postby pennybickley » Wed May 10, 2006 8:25 pm

We recently lost our beloved African Grey, Seymour, after 35 years. We have recently purchased 2 male African Grey babies who are still at the breeder's. Should we house them in separate cages? What are some of the problems we will encounter? Thank you, PB
pennybickley

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:23 pm

It all depends on how close they are. Are they really close at the breeder's? One thing to remember is that when you cage two birds, one becomes more dominant than the other. So, the decision is really up to you.

When you bring them in separately, the best way is to have them in separate cages and let THEM tell you if they ever want to move in together. I have lots of articles on this issue in the article section of this site.

I suggest that you talk with the breeder about the idea of one cage. If it were me, I would have separate cages but let them be fairly close together so the birds can "visit" each other when cage doors are open. If they start hanging out together constantly in one cage, then I would let them stay together.

Hope this helps,
Maggie-

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:28 pm

Maggie,

Thankyou for the reply.

We now have the 2 babies at home and we have 2 cages for them. They are definitely starting to compete with each other - sometimes fighting over the same perch or the same shoulder. At first we let them hang out on one cage. Then we put them on separate cages, but they each flew to the other's cage. At night they sleep in separate roosting cages and I certainly feel they need their own space most of the time.

At the breeder's they were always together with their sister, but they each had their own cage too. As you advised I asked her and she suggested 2 cages also.

I will definitely visit your other articles on the issue, for this is a new experience for us.
Thanks, Penny

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:19 am

AS IT WAS A CHALLENGE FOR ME!!! I had the advantage of Jane Hallander (animal communicator/avian behavior consultant) helping me understand every step. The issue of TOP BIRD would be harder for you though, since they came in together.

It WILL work out. Ask any questions you want.
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions