[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Nesting Behavior AGAIN

Nesting Behavior AGAIN

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Nesting Behavior AGAIN

Postby carr49 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Hi Maggie,
Hope you and your girls are doing ok. You might remember that I posted back last fall about Gus building a nest out of a basket and shredded paper. We went along with it for a few days and let him work on and "guard" his prized nest, then cleaned it all up, distracted him and it was all over. Well it's started again, only this time it's the carpet he's really after, in the same general location. He's chewing and doing the chicken scratch whenever he can get to that area, which is every chance he can get. I realize all the toxins that can be lurking there, including scotch guard treatments, etc., but this time it's harder to dissuade him. I put a rolled newspaper (no color print) to block his access and hopefully entice his chewing and scratching urges, but he hates it. I guess the only thing to do is keep placing "safe" material and hope he goes for it. One of us is almost always home with him and we are trying to distract him with safer places and objects to chew on, as well as one on one attention, but he's really drawn to this instinct - bad. My husband got bit really hard this morning when he removed Gus from his "nesting" area. This really is unusual behavior. Do you have any other suggestions or do we just keep on until his urge passes again?
Thanks as always,
Sharon
carr49

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:40 pm

It's not really "BAD." It is their natural, instinctive behavior. I suggest that you stick train him and use the stick to pick him up when he is in the hormonal nesting mode.

Please DO block the area and keep all toxic things away. Try to change the activity when he gets into it.

Can you just give him a cardboard box to place in that area and let him have a nest area with the box? Then ALWAYS use the stick to pick him up. Sometimes when Kyo does not want to do something he needs to do, I hold a towel in my left hand.....just to let him know. He cooperates immediately.

Try these and let me know how you do.
Maggie-

Nesting Behavior AGAIN

Postby carr49 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:09 pm

Maggie-
I realize I should have used the word "intense" instead of "bad". We are fully aware that this is a natural occurrence that's regulated by hormonal fluctuations. We have never employed a stick or any other device to implement the step up command in all of Gus' 10 years. These biting occurrences are rare and are always linked to these hormonal surges. Last time this occurred, we used a grocery paper bag as a substitute (like your cardboard box suggestion). So perhaps we can give that another try, even though it seemed to enhance the territorial behavior. But if that keeps him off the "toxic" carpet, we'll give it another try. We'll also continue distraction methods. As usual, your help is appreciated.
Sharon
carr49

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:10 pm

Hi Sharon,

Please also try to stick train him for situations like this. The bag/box can make the territoriality worse, but you're right.....it will keep him away from toxic particles. Also, do not leave them(bag or box) in the cage. Only allow them in time-out-of-cage situations.

This TOO shall pass.
Mag-

Return to Grey Questions