[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Newby

Newby

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Newby

Postby dthomas » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newby here due to the addition of a Congo Grey to our home.

We are already owned by two Ekkies, a male and female and really had no intentions of aquiring another bird at this time. Due to an accident we were asked to take Jessie. Well, we're hooked already. He's adorable, sweet and gorgeous. He has no fears of the ekkies and tolerates their noise like a champ. He's so opposite of what we've read and heard about greys in the past. He also talks alot and seems to be relaxed in our home.

We took him to our vet and got a check up and found that he's in excellent health too. One of my questions is how can I get him to eat fresh fruits and veggies? He seems to have been on a seed diet and other than a bite of orange or banana, he really doesn't eat much else. I've offered him the same veggie, sprout mix, celery, corn, peas and things I feed the ekkies. I also make a corn bread and birdie bread without salt and sugar, would this be good for him?

I read somewhere too that they shouldn't be given foods with wheat in them, true?

I would appreciate any advice and suggestions you have.

Thank you,

Diane and the family
dthomas

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Hello again, Diane.

The cornbread is fine. I have never heard any negatives about wheat...but birds can have individual allergies, as people can.

Jessie sounds precious. As I stated in the earlier post: you need to TEACH Jessie to eat these foods. It takes time and lots of demonstration on your part.

I suggest that you look at the strategies of others on our Helpful Hints section of the magazine part of this site. It will give more ideas. But overall, you need to eat food by him....get excited about it and even a little 'POSSESSIVE' until he gets interested.

Please keep us posted,
Maggie-

Newby

Postby dthomas » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Hello Maggie,

Thank you for your reply. Now the happy/sad news is that we found Jessie's family. The accident was that his mom took him outside on her shoulder and he flew away. He flew several miles to the construction area of the community I work at. He was brought to me at the other end of the property, I'm still not sure how it all happened.

My husband and I fell in love with him immediately, we had him for 4 days, until someone saw an add in the newspaper about a lost grey. It was in the vicinity where I work, so I called and asked what her bird says and there was not doubt he was hers.

I found out that he was about 2 years old and his real name is Cloudy, although he never said it. She started calling him KooKoo bird, which he did say alot.

Anyway, the sad part is that we had to take him home, my husband was teary eyed all day and our birds couldn't figure out what happened.

Now we're looking for a baby grey for ourselves. If anyone knows of a breeder near the Palm Springs, CA area, I would love to know who it is.

Thank you and I'll continue to visit here to learn all I can.

Diane, Baby and Kody
dthomas

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:03 pm

Diane,

I am SO sorry that you had to return him...but there is one other happy family to get him back. ALSO, there is a another very lucky Grey that is going to have your beautiful home to live in....and you and your husband to adore him. He's MORE than lucky......now you just need to find him.

Please keep me posted,
Maggie-

Postby cluckers » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:06 am

Please seriously consider if it is available in your area, adoption. I have two greys who I totally love and one is around 14 and the other is about 2 1/2 years old. With a little time and love they would be just as fine as a newby and you would be making a home for our friends who through no choice of their own had to be relocated.
cluckers

Return to Grey Questions