Vet Visit

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Vet Visit

Postby Tracy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Maggie,

I cancelled my appointment after I received your reply and I went to a vet that I have heard is very good. He apparently has 16 years experience as an Avian vet etc etc, so I presumed he is good.

My husband and I did the 90 minute journey on Saturday morning with a very cheerful Rosie Ribbons in the car. When we arrived I walked into the surgery to find the vet smoking and looking very casual.

We went through to his surgery and I said to him that Wayne and I would leave as I have always done this. He said it was not necessary but we did. Well about 30 seconds after leaving the room, Rosie started screaming, like she was being hurt so badly. It carried on for about 2 minutes, I had tears in my eyes and decided to go back in. I did not want to go back in and let her see me and not be able to do anything to help her. When we went in he had finished, but she was so afraid. I took her, paid and left. When we got into the car, she did not want to go near Wayne (he is her favourite). She was so stressed out.

Wayne drove and she just sat under a towel on my lap the whole way home. I apologised to her and told her that her mommy did not know that would happen. I felt so heartsore that I had put her through that. Wayne is still not able to handle her, all her trust in him has gone. I don't know why as we both took her to him. She used to love my previous vet and she never ever made a sound when she clipped her wings or even gave her an injection.

I had to share my story with you. Hopefully Wayne can gain her trust again, with lots of love and care and the odd piece of cheese (her favourite).

Best wishes
Tracy
Tracy

Re: Vet Visit

Postby Tracy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:09 am

Maggie, I also forget to mention that her wing clip looked like it had been done with a blunt bread knife. It was absolutely shocking and her wings have been cut a third up her back. I am so shocked that an avian vet with such a good reputation could do this to rosie.
Tracy

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:42 am

Wow! Find another vet! That's for sure. I'm glad you had the instinct to walk away before they could do anything worse to Rosie.

Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions