update on Lilo

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

update on Lilo

Postby gizmonel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:24 pm

well guys here is the update on my little furry Lilo :)

he has gotten rid of the fear he had quite quickly so that i am happy about but as he turns 3 this feb 22nd he is getting more and more aggressive with his maturing behaviour.

what do i do? leave him in his cage when he push's my hand away from him?

he also seems very aggressive and loud all day long and all he wants to do i mate with my poor little thumb lol

any tips would be great

Happy Valentines Day Maggie!
gizmonel

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:42 pm

And a Happy ONE to you and Lilo too!!!

When he pushes your hand away, you can say something like, "Okay, you can stay in your cage." or something to the effect. When is he pushing your hand away? We don't need to get in the habit of "forcing" our Greys to do what we want all of the time. But there are times also when they need to be in the habit of getting on our hands when we ask. So there is a fine line there.

What really works best is BRIBERY! Try finding a treat that Lilo LOVES. Do NOT serve in cage, but only from your hand. On days when he does not want to cooperate, you can put your right hand out for the UP command and hold a treat in the left. He has to climb onto your hand to get the treat.

There are many diversion techniques to avoid aggression and biting, such as holding a small towel or pot holder off to the side (below bird's body) to dissaude attention from biting when you pick him up.

Sometimes in the Spring/Summer at breeding season, males can get aggressive. Although this is not summer, it feels like it a little....and these urges can be different for individuals. In cases like this, it is good to have your bird stick trained.

You need to find a private place away from Lilo's cage where you can put a portable perch. Sit on the floor and practice UP/DOWNS with Lilo for 5 minutes at a time. When he behaves, praise lavishly and reward with a treat. This may help you re-establish some of the balance and control in your relationship.

Let me know if any of this helps,
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions