Question

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Question

Postby Tracy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:16 am

Hi Maggie,

My usual vet has left and I am now taking Rosie to an Avian Vet, he recommends that the birds are put under for about 5 minutes to have their nails, wings and injection done. Have you heard of this before and would you recommend it? He says that it is less stressful for the bird and they can have a thorough check up.

Thanks and Regards
Tracy
Tracy

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:00 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! It is MORE stressful to have them put under than getting the nails done. I have heard of so many Greys that have died from the stress of being put under. That should be saved for emergencies, not to clip nails.

You did the right thing! I hope you find a better one soon.

Thanks for sharing, Tracy.
Maggie-

grooming

Postby Lucysmom » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:37 pm

We have been trying to learn to do some of Lucy's grooming ourselves, because the place we used to take her to closed, & the other places are far away- at least 40 mins. each way. I did find one place about 20 mins. away but they didn't even clean up in between birds- never took her back there again. The vet wants to charge us for a visit ($65.00) just to do grooming! So, I bought a good quality emery board at the beauty supply, & I wrap Lucy in a towel & tell her that I'm going to "wipe her beak", (which she understands, because if her beak gets messy when eating, I tell her to "wipe your beak" on a napkin, then she tries to chew on the napkin) then I file the tip a little bit, & she lets me- I have to wrap her in the towel because it seems to calm her down. But a previous groomer (place that closed) told me that if you don't file it properly they can get an infected beak. Is that true? (This is also the place that clipped her too short) I only file the very tip, so it's not too sharp- they used to file it more than that. My husband files her nails when they get too sharp, but the stinker makes a fist so it's really hard for him (he's her favorite, so he gets to do the nails). Any ideas for the nails? We do have a Sandy Perch in her cage but that only helps a little.
Lucysmom

Postby Tracy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 am

Thanks Maggie, I definately won't be going that route.
Tracy

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:49 pm

Most people dissuade the trimmining of the beak. There are LOTS of blood vessels in the beak, and so you really need to find someone who knows what they are doing. I don't have a background in this. Perhaps someone reading this board can pipe in.

I have someone trim my guys' beaks....they barely snip off the end. But I've never heard that they get infected if you don't do them. I've always been told that you trim beaks to stop them from growing too long. As long as it is not too long, probably no reason to trim. Sounds like the filing you are doing works for you, but again, I don't have lots of experience with that.

The nail trimming is a CONSTANT Grey issue since they chew their nails. I use concrete perches, but watch your baby's feet. Just make sure they don't get irritated from the texture of the concrete perch.

GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie-

Postby Lucysmom » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Hi Maggie- I think you misunderstood part of my question- I was told that they could get an infected beak if you clip or file it incorrectly, not if you don't trim it. We just filed the tip yesterday, because she accidentally nipped me when playing & drew a little blood b/c the tip of her beak was sharp. She also makes holes in our clothes when it gets too pointy, so we just file the tip down maybe 1/16 inch to make it less sharp. (I was able to dissuade my husband from clipping the tip like he did once before- even though he only cut the very tip, it makes me nervous). A question- how do you know when the beak grows "too long"?
Lucysmom

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:49 am

I agree that the beak could become infected if it is clipped incorrectly. Again, that is because the beak is FILLED with blood vessels and you need to be careful NOT to clip a blood vessel. A professional would need to do it or teach you. Sounds like you did a good job.

A beak is too long when it begins to curl under and the bird is having difficulty eating with it.

Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions