bennie

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

bennie

Postby Bobbi d » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:14 pm

I have been working with Bennie off and on all weekend and its working iput my hand to his breast ask him to step up and he is doing it.Is it true that you should not give peanuts in the shell because they grow fungus? what do you give your greys that they love.Bennie's favorite so far is popcorn.Is it not good to give to him that? I HAVE A HUGE SALARIUM ALL INCLOSED OFF MY DININR ROOM would it be ok to put him out there durin the day in his cage.We live in florida so the weather is around 75-80 degrees in the winter and 85-96 in thee summer. Or maybe around the pool area but not in direct sunlight is that oK? when you are training what is a good r4eward to give hum that you know all greys love.HAVE I MENTIONED I HAVE A BASSETT HOUND NAMED HANK and when bennie is on the floor with him bennies rules the roost it is so funny to watch. THANK YOU SO MUCH MAGGIE YOU ARE AN ENOURMOUS HELP TO ME. i FEEL VERY COMFORTABLE NOW KNOWING I CAN E MAIL YOU WHEN I NEED TO ....BOBBI
Bobbi d

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Hi Bobbi,

I serve my girls a shelled peanut per day. I buy organic ones and discard any that are broken, have cracks or very dark spots on the outside. Please look at the article section of this site. There is an article by Alicia McWatters about peanuts.

No matter where you put Bennie, you need to make sure he is SAFE. Leaving him outdoors is NOT safe, if unattended. That's even in a cage. I have heard too many stories about even the caged birds being killed by raccoons or hawks. When our Greys are terrified, the flail in their cages, hitting against the bars. Smart predators can wait and grab the scared bird thru the bars. It cannot eat the bird; but it can kill it. So, PLEASE be very careful down there in Florida.

Also, remember that anything hotter than 80 to 85 can be difficult for our Greys. Just make sure there is appropriate AC or fans and your baby is sprayed often, if in that kind of heat.

It is recommended that if you put Bennie in the solarium, please supervise frequently to make sure he doesn't get too hot.

Keep us posted,
Maggie-

BENNIE

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am

theek He now anks Maggie I am not going to put him out He loves where he is in my living room by the window where he can look out. Also we have been working together all week he now waves an steps up we play ball and i bought him a new babies toy three monkee heads attached in a ring he loves it. Thank you so much

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:59 pm

WOW Bobbi!!! Those are major accomplishments. I'm impressed!
Maggie-

bennie

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:08 am

so sorry for all the spelling errors I was rushing when Iwrote last.Bennie is such a great addition to ouf family.

Return to Grey Questions