bennie

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

bennie

Postby bobbid » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to the group I have a 13 month old grey named Bennie I have had him since he was 21 days old. He is wonderful.But he does nit like my husband is that Normal? He has not started to talk yet is that pretty normal also.
bobbid

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Welcome!!!

Have you read my book? If not, please get it. You can find it at most book stores, Amazon or you can order an autographed copy thru this site: African Grey Parrots: A Complete Pet Owner's Guide by Maggie Wright.

It is normal for many greys to prefer one human over another. It can also be normal that the loyalties may change to another person at approximately 2-3 years old. In situations like this, it will help if you make your husband the TREAT giver. Find a treat that Bennie LOVES. Then let your husband be the ONLY source of the treat....do not serve in cage and do not serve yourself. Break it into bits: if sunflower seeds, give ONE seed at a time....if it is cashews, break the cashews into small bits and give one bit at a time. This allows you to TREAT more often without destroying the diet.

Most Greys learn to talk at 12 -18 months old...some younger. Is Bennie attempting to talk yet? Please refer to the Helpful hints section of this site. It may give you some ideas on how to work with Bennie to help him learn to talk.

Please keep in touch,
Maggie-

bennie

Postby bobbi d » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:44 am

th ank you Maggie for getting back to me Iwould love a copy of your book,Ihave a couple more questionsBennie does not like to come out of the cage to perch on me. If he comes out he climbes up to the top where he is above us, the cage is big.Once there he does not like to come down when I call him.He does not jump on my finger or hand. H runs around the top away from me. How do I break this. Ans also he eats mixed frozen veggies every morning (warmed up of course) and Harrisons organic pelets.I Have mineral blocks in his cage. He has beeb eating finicky the last couple of days. What Do I do. Do I leave his cage door open when Im home so he can come and go as he pleases.Do I hang a ladder outside the cage for him do I cover him at night Help. I really need your book I have had him since he was a baby .But I want to make sure Im doing everything right.I know he is always jibber jabbering whistling cooing and cawing so I think he is happy,or is he? help ...Bobbi
bobbi d

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi Bobbi,

You can get an autographed copy of the book from the Grey Place section of this site. Or if you prefer as check (or internationaql money order if out of US), you can send me $15 (US price) and $20 (other/foreign price) to:

Equatorial Group
13835 N Tatum Blvd, Ste 9-609
Phoenix, AZ 85032-5590

I have a section in the book that shows how you should be picking him up. He needs to step up onto your hand, not jump. Birds are not like dogs and they do not tend to come to us when called. But they need to be trained to step on our hands when we have the hands correctly positioned at the breast for them to step up. But do not expect Bennie to run over to you when called.

It is okay for him to climb on top of the cage. Then I suggest that you get a kitchen chair or stool and stand on it so that you are higher than he is on the cage top. Then put the back of your hand at his breast and ask him to step up.

Sounds like you need to practice the UP/DOWNS with him. Do this in a room away from his cage. Have him on a small perch or on the floor with you (his back to wall and your facing the wall). Then practice having him get up and down from your hand....and staying on it for a period of few minutes at a time. You may want to use bits of his favorite treats to reward him when he does it perfectly.

Please look up the Helpful Hints section on this site (in magazine section). It gives ideas on how to help your baby eat more veggies. The key is that you have to act really excited and into the veggies yourself. Eat some in front of him in front of cage. Tell him how good it is and so on. Keep doing it for weeks, maybe months. You need to get him interested in trying them.

I let my guys on top of their cages in the afternoons, when I am home.

I also cover my guys in small sleeping cages. Others don't do it. It is up to you.

Please order my book as it will help you immensely.
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions