[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Leg band

Leg band

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: Leg band

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:29 am

Scott,

I have NO idea, but I'll check around.
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:00 pm

Dear Scott,

I contacted Marc Marrone of Parrots of the World, as he has had a lot of experience with transporting greys over the years. He said that quarantine bands have a gap in them and they are not smooth all around. I have not been able to find a photo.

Will keep checking.
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Th "Q" band is round. Like most rings women would wear. They are open or cut in appearance because they needed to be crimped on the bird at the station.
Domestically bred birds have a flat continuous band. More like a watch band is flat. There is no break in the material and must be slipped on as a baby to fit over the foot.

I may have one of each at home to take a picture. I have to look.
Lisa A. Bono

Postby merlin » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 am

Here is a description of bands from breeder, Jean Pattison:

Breeder bands are flat like a wedding band, and usually have 3-4 letters to identify the breeder, and then numbers for the breeder records. It has no opening, so slide over the toes, before the baby's feet get too big. There is the state sideways on it also. Some will have years while others may not. At about 60 cents each, I don't order 30 bands with the year. I end up with too many left over that I cannot use the following year, so I just run consecutive numbers regardless of the band size for the different species. If anyone needs to follow up, if they give me the number of the band, I can look on my records to see which bird got that number and the year.

The quarantine band looks like a nail or heavy round wire with letters for the quarantine station and numbers also. That should be all, on those bands. The band not on the bird resembles a hog-ring. It is slid around the leg just above the foot, then crimped closed, so there is a tiny seam where the two ends meet. See this article for quarantine band codes.....
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-breeders/breeder-business/decode-leg-bands.aspx

Now for me, I use a lot of open bands since I pull my babies later than most, so their feet are too big for a closed band. But my open band reads like my closed bands. AF QU XXXX with the state. So in recent years, you really need to look at the codes on the birds to make sure if it imported or domestic.

Import bands are stainless, while closed bands are "usually" aluminium. For capes and some big macaws we do use stainless closed bands, since they can crush aluminum in their beaks.

In all my years, I have only had 2 birds get their bands caught. One was imported where the space in the band had not been crimped all the way closed. On my imports I do have the pliers to crimp them closed, so we check them now and recrimp them if needed. The other was a Meyer's that I had used a Senegal band on. The band was too big and her foot went thru the wire and allowed the band to slip sideways thru the wire and she could not pull her foot back thru.
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Breeder band(closed) vs Import band(open)
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (87.39 KiB) Viewed 13543 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (210.52 KiB) Viewed 13543 times
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions