[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Very nervous rescued CAG

Very nervous rescued CAG

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Postby ZsPet » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:25 am

Proudly Grey Owned
ZsPet

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry that I'm just discovering your question. Take it really slowly with your new baby. She probably has never been on a hand and had little human contact.

Just because she is a big talker does not mean she had lots of human contact. It probably means that she learned all of the phrases from listening from the backroom, never being touched.

Therefore, please listen to the lectures on the site about working with nervous birds. Also, as you slowly let her out overtime, you will need to buffer places so she does not fall a lot and hurt herself. I wrote an article on working with clumsiness in the public part of the site. Please look it up.

But realize since she probably had little contact with humans, start out slowly. Don't really push the idea of her being out immediately. Spend time by the cage talking to her and scritiching her head thru the bars. If you already do that a lot, move slowly to doing it with your hand in the cage. They feel more secure IN their cages. Then slowly, over time, as you rub her head, slowly touch the feet and eventually hold one and rub it with a hand, all the while telling her how wonderful she is. This will get her used to contact with human hands in a non-threatening way.

The process could take a year or longer. Greys go slowly so take one tiny step at a time. Gradually, she may be calmer over time. If you would like a consultation or something, call me at 212-888-1784.

Maggie-

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Nancy,

Just keep going back to the basics with her. I have a phobic Grey who lives with me. It has been 4 years now, and we still have our good and bad days. Any time I have to do something to him, such as spritz or even clean the cages, he freaks....but then likes his scritches most of the time.

You have taken on a special little one who needs LOTS of help and love. This fear pattern was set in her long ago before you were brought into her life.

Overtime, this too shall pass and she will slowly become more calm and trusting. As you go back to the basics, feel LOTS of love for yourself because you are TRULY helping this little soul.

You BOTH are truly lucky to have each other!
Maggie-

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:05 pm

Where do you let her play outside of the cage? Could you create some kind of safe perch or playpen that is RIGHT beside the cage. Then slowly coax her to get back into her cage from that playpen, while gently PRETENDING to use the towel (having it off in a hand and just show it to her). When she does finally go back in on her own, get so excited that she thinks she won the lottery. PRAISE. PRAISE. Praise!!!

My guy used to have a metal chair he was comfortable getting onto and he would be taken back to the cage that way. Now, I just coax him to go back into his cage....all the while, saying it....and praise when he gets back in on his own.

She will be nervous about most things in the beginning....but eventually become more comfortable.

You've done nothing wrong. These problems start in the early socialization and build up from there. Please read that Spring 2002 download that is in this membership section. It will help you better understand.

You're doing a GREY'T job!!!
Maggie-

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:40 pm

PLEASE keep me informed. She sounds extremely special!
Mag-

Return to Grey Questions