[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - new member/abused grey

new member/abused grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: new member/abused grey

Postby merlin » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:20 am

Welcome, Jill. God bless you and Molly! She sounds like a precious joy.

You are doing the right things to gain her trust. Identify a treat that she LOVES. Stop serving it in the cage. From now on, let it only come from your hands. Break it into bits, if you can... such as cashew bits or peanut bits... or one sunflower seed at a time. This way, you can reward her with treats often. Spend as much time by her cage as possible, talking to her and telling how much you love her and want her to be happy. You can create talking games or anything like that, too.

When she is ready for the head scritches, give her a few gentle ones with your fingers thru the cage bars. Give her treats, too. Again, make up talking games and so on. But the physical contact should go slowly, one step at a time. It would start with the head scritches through the bar. Then when she loves that, slowly try the head scritches with cage door open. After that you can play foot games with her. I used to play a game with Kyo where I would touch his foot and say "Boop!" Then, he started saying that. Now, I massage his feet. But the physical contact should come slowly and with a positive reinforcement strategy of one inch at a time.

Congratulations! You have a beautiful future ahead of you with this beautiful soul.
Blessings,
Maggie-

PS: Many of the strategies that are used to work with phobic/nervous greys would work. They are basically what you are doing. Just remember to go at her pace.
merlin
Site Admin

Re: new member/abused grey

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:31 am

THANK YOU for taking her in!

I agree with Maggie. Make sure you work at her pace.
Another great idea is to sit down and read to her. Show her pictures like you would a child. This is also interacting without touching. This way she will learn you are "safe".
I just took in a 13 year old grey. She was very loved by her second owner. They had a very good relationship and the grey, Abigail, was a bit angry with me for changing her life. She looked at me as the person who took her away from all she knew. Abigail was quick to bite to let me know she was NOT a happy girl.I worked with her slowly and at her pace.
It has now been a few months and she has learned that I am safe, and we have a wonderful relationship. :D
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions