[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Alex Update / Question

Alex Update / Question

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: Alex Update / Question

Postby merlin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Tim & Maureen,

This is wonderful news!!! Just PLEASE be extremely careful about the dogs. Alex has shown you that he is afraid of them, especially since there are two who can gang up.
An idea is to keep working with the dogs too in letting them know that Alex is family and they are NEVER to touch him. You can get that across to your dogs in a calm, firm but loving way.

I'm so glad that you noticed the biting with the fear of the dog. When I first got my Merlin, she used to hold onto my thumb to help feel secure on my hand. I did not know that and kept trying to pull away. The holding on and me not understanding was the trigger that started Merle's biting problem as a young chick.

I'll look more at your post and respond again later.

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Hello!
I'm glad things are coming along.
Another thought on the reason behind the bite: The bite COULD also be his/her way of saying you were interrupting what Alex had planned. From the sounds of it, her little mind was working to an end goal(being on the couch) and she was stopped. Yes, they do need to learn boundries...It was her way of saying no to what she was being made to do. She can not physically stop you with her hands, :lol: and her feet are busy, so the beak will do. :wink:
Best thing is to watch body language. As you spend more time together you will see so much in her eyes. I can say I read eyes probably more then body language. Greys have a way of letting you know their mind is at work. Watch when she squints. That is part of the thought process.
As Maggie said, it is real important to make sure she is closely supervised around the dogs. Dogs have been known to snatch them out of the air. Its not that the dog is being mean, its purely instinctual.
I suggest placing the dogs in a differnt area while Alex is out. Working with Alex in a relaxed /safe environment is the best. Slowly as you see how the dogs will react you can integrate.
Lisa A. Bono

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:59 pm

I found this quote and wanted to share with you.

For instance....Sydney is NOT a happy boy here...

Stirling is content...
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions