Help with talking

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Help with talking

Postby LaDawn » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:52 am

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for quite a while and wanted some help with my CAG and teaching him to talk. I have had him since he was approximately 6 weeks old and he is now a little over 1 year. He is very quick to pick up whistles and sounds from the home but I have only heard him say "hello" and "hi" consistently for a few days and then he stopped. Since then he has said "hello" twice that I can recall and only when no one is paying attention. When no one is in the house we leave the radio on. I was wondering if the television would be better or is there some other steps that we can take to promote him talking?

Thanks,
LaDawn
LaDawn

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:31 am

Hi LaDawn,

Greys learn best in interactive situations. He will not learn to talk by listening to TV....but if you are there and interact with him and the TV, may be a better shot. There is a whole list of ideas on talking tips in the Helpful Hints of this web site. Go back to the magazine section and look up the Helpfil Hints.

I have learned the best areas to focus on initially are to help him with COMMAND words, such as "Want some...." "Go to..." "tickle," and so on. Observe what captures his attention and talk with him about it.

Just keep talking and teaching him....but interactively. Do you have him in the family room? If he is left in a "bird room," he won't learn as many "appropriate" phrases.....he will learn more "memorized phrases." Again, talk with him alot!!!

Keep us posated,
Maggie-

Postby LaDawn125 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:44 am

Hi Maggie,

He is in the living room and is very interactive with my boyfriend and I. He follows us through out the house and we use the same commands for everything. We talk to him as if he is another person in the room. I was asking about the TV verses the radio for when we are out of the house. Just to supplement what we are doing when we are in the house. I have read the Help Hints in the past and have been trying to utilize all of them.

LaDawn
LaDawn125

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:31 am

Honestly, I don't think it matters. But some people swear that their Greys like to watch TV...especially things like Sesame Street and cartoons.

My guys & I listen to Soundscapes all day long.

Maggie-

talking

Postby Lucysmom » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi, it's me again- I have all my questions built up from when your site was down (twice!) Lucy is a CAG, & she has also been slow to talk, but I think it's true that there is a spurt of talking at around age 2- she'll be 2 in Jan., & seems to be picking up more words & sounds. I've noticed that it has to be sounds she really likes- for ex: she learned to say "Are you a good girl?" before "hello", & doesn't even say "Hi" at all, which I would think is easier. You have to listen very carefully- my husband won't believe me sometimes when I tell him that she's saying a new word- he thinks it's just babbling- but sometimes you can hear the intonation of the sounds before they learn the pronunciation of the syllables. She now makes a click & whistle which together mean "Goodnight", that she says when she wants to go to bed- I guess these sound like "goodnight" to her "foreign" ears. (P.S. We talk to her all the time, & leave NPR on the radio b/c it's a good mix of soothing talk & music-& no obnoxious commercials- guess we're going to have a left-wing bird (LOL).
(Maggie, is it OK to respond like this, or should I start a new topic? I want to stay within the boundaries of the board postings)
Lucysmom

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 pm

No problem! Days in your home seem REALLY exciting with all of that talking! Find what she loves or interests her and talk about that too. Teach her "COMMAND" words.
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions