laid a egg

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: laid an egg

Postby merlin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi!

Many Grey hens lay eggs, especially when they reach their teen years. They are infertile and it does NOT mean the bird wants to be bred. It is a hormonal thing that is generally brought on by something that we pet humans have done. What I mean by that is that we give them boxes to chew, paper bags to hang out in, little stuffed animals to sleep with and so on. You can compare it to a single person. You don't feel those sexual urges until something triggers them, such as meeting someone exciting... or something like that.

The egg-laying process is hormonal and we must allow the body to go through the entire process. If we don't, they could keep laying eggs and get sick from the loss of calcium. Therefore, when your pet hen lays an egg, you will need to let her go through the process. That means, when she lays a second egg, please set up a nest box in her cage. That can be a cardboard box with a comfortable rag in it or something. Allow the bird to sit on the eggs or at least have the nest box in the cage for about a month and then throw it away. Once the body has laid eggs, it needs to go through the process of being able to brood (sit on the eggs, or at least think that she is).

Wild greys lay 3-5 eggs. So, your baby will probably lay more over the next few weeks. When it is for the first time, she may lay only one or two. The process is generally traumatic for the bird, so please watch over her closely and make sure she is eating.

Please keep us informed.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Re: laid an egg

Postby merlin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:36 am

I would like to add that this year, my Sweet Pea laid two eggs. Generally, first time egg-layers may only lay one or two for the first time. But in general, 3-5 eggs is what they generally do lay. Anyway, My Pea was a little traumatized by the whole process. If you have hens, particularly teen hens, PLEASE try not to let this happen. When your Grey gets hormonal and starts making the begging/crying sounds, CHANGE THE VENUE. Change the subject. Change the activity. Avoid letting your birds play all day in paper bags or cardboard boxes. Make sure you avoid touching your bird on the wings and their backsides. Scritching the head is fine. Don't let a hormonal bird play with a stuffed animal. Just be very diligent and try to avoid anything that can cause egg-laying because it is NOT fun for the Grey.

We have a back issue of the Grey Play Round Table that has focused on this subject. It is now one of the many downloads that you get if you join the online membership. To learn more about it, go to the "subscribe" link at the top of this website's masthead.

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions