newbies with TAG, too much noise, please help!

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Noisy TAG

Postby merlin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi Barb,

Your new baby sounds beautiful!!! The cockatiel screams, dog barking, and macaw sounds are the language of her "old" flock groups. In time, she will be adopting her "new" flock language, which is what you and your husband teach her. It does take a little time, so please try to have patience for the next few months, while she learns the new language. It definitely will take longer than the first 10 days. It could be a few months, but if you love her, don't give up.

It sounds like you are doing the appropriate strategies to help her stop making those sounds. But it also sounds like you are doing too many things and may be confusing the picture. Choose one soft sound that you can stand to hear back from her. Make that sound ONLY... and make it every time she makes the sounds that you don't like. Respond back to her in that quieter sound, but in a cheerful, upbeat way. Make it a fun game.

You can also try this. Find a treat she loves. Do not serve it in the cage. Instead, break it into tiny pieces. When she responds to YOUR sound, instead of her loud sounds, praise her and give her a treat. Do that, in combination with the making-soft-sound strategy.

Also, try to work on yourselves. I've found that when I'm very irritated about something, it gets to me and gets stronger. But when I switch my perspective and look from a different lense, it loses its intensity and disappears. Try to get yourselves excited and see this whole process as a fun game that helps you teach your new companion.

Hoping this helps.
GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

noisy TAG

Postby merlin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Barb,

I just wanted to make it more clear. When SHE responds to you... making YOUR softer sound, instead of her noisy sound, then praise and treat her. That, in combination with making the softer sound, should help.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions