Travel cage

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Travel cage

Postby NancyJBritting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:13 am

Maggie, you tell such wonderful stories about taking your two birds on outings. I am eager to teach our new 5-mo-old to enjoy outings.....on the porch, in the yard, visiting neighbors, in the car, etc. And someday, I am hoping our phobic 5-yr-old will be able to learn to enjoy them too.

I am eager for advice on what kind of "easy-to-carry" cage you have found works best for your birds. I would like to buy a carry-cage asap and start working with our baby in it, but there are so many different types on the market. He came home with us in a regular small cat-carrier, but that seems so "enclosed."

Anticipating some fun times outside the house......
Nancy
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:02 am

Hi Nancy,

First, I suggest that you wait until you have him clipped.

The carrier cages that I use are no longer sold, I think. I cannot remember the brand name; I think it was Papagallo Cages. They were so popular that they developed quality problems and I think went out of business in the 90s.

I'm sure there are lots of carriers that are small and are wire. Please avoid the lucite-type ones because birds can overheat in them.

You have the winter to search around and to enjoy that precious five-moth-old AND five-year-old! Actually, you can still enjoy the yard and porch with the cat carrier. Actually, it would be a good introduction and perhaps safe. Do you have a screened porch?

How's your phobic one? One of mine has nervous, phobic tendencies and I am practicing patience and hoping that Kyo will get onto my hand some day. He certainly loves me but is STILL a little reticent about hands.

Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Travel cage

Postby NancyJBritting » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:32 am

We have two huge porches -- 10x60 -- but at this point no part of them are screened in for the birds. But we have often talked about how much the birds would enjoy a screened section, so that may happen in time.

So......it sounds like using the cat carrier to get baby Baxter used to some little outings on the porch or in the yard might be a good idea, before putting him in an all-wire travel cage. I will try to do that for him.

Yes, I had envisioned a small, light-weight and easy-to-carry-with-one-hand all-wire travel cage for the birds to go on little outings in. I will continue to look for what I want on the internet.
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:53 am

Okay! My guys LOVED their screened porch in upstate New York. When you do create one, be sure to make sure the wire is really sturdy. I hate having to be the warning person all of the time, but so many have told me things, being a publisher... But there have been birds that have flown through screened doors and even screen porches, when they were startled. That's why I said it.

Your guys will be very happy having their outings with you! Please keep us posted!

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Screened porch

Postby NancyJBritting » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:12 pm

We were thinking of hardware cloth for screening in part of the porch. It seems "sturdy" enough to us.........but what do you think? I guess a large part of the "sturdiness" is actually how it is installed.....
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 am

Nancy,

It is how it's installed and how much you supervise. A GPR subscriber lost her Grey one day because he got so frightened by something that he flew out of the kitch THROUGH the screen on the door. When they are afraid of something, things happen.

I had my porch double screened with thick screen and loosely connected so that if my guys got scared, the act of flying against a screen would not break it. It really helped. Although my guys never got scared out there, I felt more safe with it.

I don't mean entirely loose, but so that it gives, but doesn't break, if a scared Grey flails into it.

Hoping this helps!
Mag-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions