Food color and wooden toys. Sorry posted wrong

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Food color and wooden toys. Sorry posted wrong

Postby irolnellup » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:01 am

I read an article in the Grey info past articles marked " Nutrition". The title is Chemical dyes and our birds health . If you drag down to the bottom of the article you will see a color chart with each food color and how it damages what organ . It was written by Alicia M Watters, PHD and is originally a Natures corner articile I believe. I had purchased food color from the grocery store to dye Sparkey and Lulu's toys. The colors turn out very nice. Only the outside of the wood is dyed it does not seep into the wood. I have a basket full of woods cut and drilled and ready to go for them I have just been holding off until I can find out if this is really factual. I'm sure they don't mind if all of there toys are natural wood colors! I just can't imagine the pet industry selling its patrons toxic toys for their beloved pets. It would be like handing your Grey a beatuifully colored toy and taking 2 years off the end of its life (if the color chart is accurate).
Lori Pullen
irolnellup

Postby merlin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:39 pm

Lori,

Her article was written for the Grey Play Round Table Grey magazine in 1999. I have great confidence in everything that she wrote. She was really competent and respected.

I personally will never allow my birds to eat any foods or pellets that contain artificial dyes/colors and synthetic sugars. There are other foods that are sold that are natural. There also are many toy companies that sell natural wood toys and also colored wood toys that are dyed by vegetable and fruit colors, which are natural and not synthetic.

Lori, I suggest that when you find a toy that you like for Sparkey that you contact the toy company and make sure they use vegetable dyes instead of chemical toys on their toys. Many of them have switched over.
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Lori,

Instead of purchasing the food dye packs in the stores, use natural fruit and vegetable colors. For example, you can use beet for the red, and so on.

Here's the link to Grey feather Toys. They sell natural bird toys: http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/html/aboutus.html

Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions