Rubbing forehead raw while "digging"

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Rubbing forehead raw while "digging"

Postby NancyJBritting » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 pm

We have had our baby 5-mo old male CAG "Baxter" for three weeks now. He starts "digging" on the bottom of his cage with his nose pressed between the bars every time I am in the room or he sees me or even hears my voice in the house. He is rubbing two spots raw on his forehead -- one above each nostril. I am very concerned about the "open wounds."

He gets plenty of warm food, hand-fed potatoes or squash or other soft food 2-3 times daily (have just read that I should cut down on that to only once daily), is taken out and played with and cuddled 2-3 times daily for total of 2-3 hours, and will play happily in his cage with his toys until he discovers I am nearby.

Does he need more time out of his cage? More cuddling? Any suggestions? Today I tie-wrapped towels all around the bottom of his cage to see if that will prevent him from rubbing his face on the bars.

Thanks!
NancyJBritting

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:13 am

Hi Nancy,

Grey digging is very normal, but if you are concerned about raw spots on the forehead, get him checked out by the vet.

It sounds like the digging is partly normal, and then an insecurity feeling of needing you. Do you tell him that when you leave "you'll be back," and talk to him in the cage? You don't want to overdo getting him out all of the time, but perhaps it would be good to take him out a little more often. Just reassure him that he is safe, and everything is okay. Constantly remind him.

I do want to add that Greys are VERY intuitive and telepathic. The Earth is going through a rough time right now, and animals are becoming confused. They are doing things they do not normally do. For example, a friend has had black bears attacking her neighborhood recently (NEVER happened before), and there are many other reports of abnormal behavior. Your baby is definitely feeling some of that, so normal behavior "aint" always normal at this time. For that reason, I think it would be good for you to reassure him more than normal that things are okay. You can sometimes even do it by just talking to him, while he's still in the cage... in addition to taking him out.

I hope this helps. Just realize that the anxiety you are feeling about the world moving into chaos with our disasters, he feels it and probably more so.

Hoping this helps. For anyone reading this, this pertains to ALL of our animals... so give them double love and comfort right now.

Blessings,
Maggie-

Raw spots healing up

Postby NancyJBritting » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Maggie --

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement........and the insight of a grey sensing the turmoil all around us! I so appreciated the reminder to reassure Baxter, both when I put him back in his cage, and also while he is in the cage -- that I will be back, and he is safe and secure even while I am not holding him. I need to do that more, because I realize now I was trying to avoid going near his cage or talking to him while he was in the cage, afraid that his raw spots on his forehead would get worse.

Thankfully, it seems the towels tie-wrapped around the bottom of his cage are helping, because even though he still digs quite a bit, his raw spots got little scabs on them, and now they are even healing up. It is a big relief to me.

Also, it seems that Baxter is learning there is a "routine" and after he has been out of his cage with me for a while, he will go back into his cage for a while, and then he gets to come back out again. He seems to be digging less, and I can even come and go in the room and he continues to play with the toys in his cage. However, I realize I am ignoring him while he is playing nicely in his cage -- afraid that if I talk to him he will stop playing and start digging again! So I need to correct that.......

Thanks for your help,
Nancy
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 pm

Nancy,

You're doing GREY'T with him!!! We Grey pet humans always need to realize how much our companions pick up on the daily stresses and we have to remind them they are safe.

He will naturally continue to dig because that's what they do, but I'm glad to see that he's finally settling into a good routine.

You are learning in leaps and bounds!
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions