New feather stalks

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

New feather stalks

Postby Solomon's_Mama » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi Maggie

Solomon has a TON of new feathers growing in (especially on his neck area) and he's so nippy because he's so uncomfortable. I'm trying to preen his neck for him but more often than not I tend to pull the entire feather out rather than just the keratin stalk off :-( Is there any type of spray that helps alleviate this...softens up the stalk so that it will melt off a little easier??? I've been soaking him in the shower daily which is helping.

Hope all is well with you!!

Samantha & Solomon
Samantha and Solomon
Solomon's_Mama

Postby Maggie- » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:10 am

Hi Samantha & Solomon!

Do not mess with his quills until they have been there long enough to be a little flexible, if you know what I mean. Then with your fingertips, only pinch the very end that is kind of whitish. If you try to mess with the quills when they are extremely stiff and inflexible, it will be painful for Solomon. By breaking them at the very end, you have helped the quill begin to open... then each time you preen him, pinch the very end a little bit more, until the sheath is eventually totally off. You don't have to try to remove the entire sheath at the first sitting.

I learned this trick with Merle when she was a baby. Hoping it helps!

Blessings,
maggie-
Maggie-

Postby Solomon's_Mama » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:47 pm

THANKS-- I am getting better at it. Plus, my fingernails have grown a bit--that really helps :lol: You look at his skin when he's soaking wet and he has TONS of feathers preparing to come through the skin so he is just a mess. I sat for about an hour last night and just rubbed his head where there is no new growth yet. Anyway--thanks for the info.

Samantha and Solomon
Samantha and Solomon
Solomon's_Mama

Postby Maggie- » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:45 pm

You are so welcome! I remember sitting for hours helping Merlin as a baby. She certainly was happier once I learned when to to pick the tips of the quills for her, instead of doing it so early. They must really hurt under the skin.

Maggie-
Maggie-

Preening new feathers

Postby NancyJBritting » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:54 pm

I just read these posts.........and wonder at what age this huge quantity of new feather growth starts happening?? You mentioned "when Merle was a baby" and I don't know how old Solomon was when this was posted. Baxter is 5 mo. now......do I have this to look forward to? It sounds difficult to do with such tiny feathers as on the neck area, but I will certainly try to do it gently and carefully when the time comes.

Besides our two greys, Baxter and Bonnie, we have a hyacinth macaw, Zeus. We preen him all the time and he loves it, but even his neck and head feathers are large enough to be easy to pinch just the tip without hurting him. It will be a big change to work on Baxter's tiny feathers....

Nancy
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:11 am

Hey Nancy,

Molting will start at 12 months or younger. You don't need to do it on the tiny, tiny feathers but the bigger ones that have sheaths. And the ones they cannot do themselves, such as the head.

You already have experience from your macaw. All you need is to just prick the very tips and the rest of the sheath will work out. If they are STIFF and not ready, do not touch yet because they are connected to nerves and it hurts. You'll know you when they are softer and a little more moveable.
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions