[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - water bottle

water bottle

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

water bottle

Postby fuddyduddy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:31 pm

Liz
fuddyduddy

Postby Maggie- » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:32 pm

Maggie-

Postby Maggie- » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:33 pm

Maggie-

try a straw

Postby GulfBreezey » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:31 pm

GulfBreezey

water bottle

Postby Liz » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:28 am

Liz

Postby Maggie- » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:36 am

Maggie-

trip/waterbottle

Postby fuddyduddy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:29 am

We're back from our trip. Mikey did great! But...while in his carrier during the flight he didn't eat or drink a thing. I had a bit of water in a small bowl and grapes for him ( his favorite fruit) and his pellets in the carrier. He wouldn't take water from a straw (had been suggested). I took him out of his carrier in the ladies room while waiting to board and once off the plane at which time I offered him water from a bowl that he uses at home! It was a no go. He wouldn't even take his favorite treats. He had his favorite toys too but never played with them. He just "scratched" the bottom of the carrier most the way! I talked to him often and he could see me. I had a small cover made for his carrier and had it wrapped around it during the flight to prevent drafts getting to him. I did everything I could to make his first trip as stress free as possible and for the most part, I think he did great. He acted his usual self while at my sisters and is himself now. I'm thankful the flight was only 2 hours! My concern is what to expect when I take a longer trip?! What does the scratching mean? Was he really stressed? :roll:
Liz
fuddyduddy

Covering him ...

Postby GulfBreezey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi, when I traveled with Buddy I had a cover ready for him but luck had it that I had an empty seat next to me so I cut off the overhead air and left him uncovered and usually in my lap where I talked to him almost constantly. He enjoyed peeping out of the slots in the carrier. As for using the straw I sort of aimed it at his beak and let it go a couple of times and he figured it out. Messed up the paper towels a little but that's what they were there for. I think he liked being able to see me, and that that made him feel better. Also I hand fed him some of his favorite treats. Your call of course but maybe next time let him see you. Might make him happy?
GulfBreezey

water bottle

Postby Liz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi, He was able to see me as I kept the top of the carrier open (grate opening) and wrapped the cover around it. I talked to him frequently. He let me scratch his head when I put my hand into the little door at the top of the carrier. He just wouldn't eat or drink. He just kept scratching! :lol:
I want to bring him out to Ohio again in August but am not sure if it's just too stressful for him. I can't leave him home with my husband so would have to board him. I really don't want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary.
Liz

Postby Maggie- » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Liz,

It sounds like Buddy did fine. He may have been too nervous to eat or drink, but that is normal since it was his first time. He will be more relaxed the next time. Greys scratch at the bottom of their cages all of the time. He may have been a little nervous but don't worry about the scratching. They ALL do it. We don't really know what the scratching comes from..maybe from nesting habits...maybe because they scratch for food when they ground feed in Africa. We don't know.

In the future, give him lots of watery foods, such as canteloupe, watermelon and even a piece of orange. They get the water from the foods, then you don't need to worry so much about a straw. Just take him out between flights and see if he'll drink water then.

Congrats! You guys did GREY'T!
Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions