Non-Stick Cookware

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Non-Stick Cookware

Postby snipeorod » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:56 am

I know Teflon produces deadly fumes, but what about the other non-stick coatings i.e. Circulon Cookware? Also how close is too close when it comes to having your Grey near the kitchen?

Thank You
snipeorod

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:39 pm

TEFLON is not the problem. PTFE is the problem.. It is the ingredient in ALL nonstick coatings. Keep your baby away from ALL nonstick items.

Throw away ANY and ALL pots that are nonstick. Even though you think you are careful, there ALWAYS can be an accident. A friend of mine thought she was safe and would cook her eggs in a small nonstick pan. She lost her Grey when it was heated too much. Please look at the Helpful Hints section on my site and it talks more about the nonstick problem.

Your Grey can be in the kitchen if there are no fumes or boiling water that he or she may get in by mistake.

If you overheat with nonstick, the fumes can travel all over the house. So, with that, there is no SAFE distance....except NO DISTANCE.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-

Postby snipeorod » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 am

Thanks for your help Maggie, I am sure Chili will appreciate it. I guess I have to go shop for new cookware now. Stainless? Cast Iron? Any suggestions?
snipeorod

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Either one. I have Revere ware that is non stick. But you MUST ask for the nonstick now. Until a few years ago, they did not make nonstick.

You will not only be doing Chili a favor, but you will be helping yourself. Humans are also affected by nonstick. They come down with a terrible chest cold after an accidental burning....but it is NOT a chest cold. It is TEFLON poisoning.
Maggie-

a teflon video

Postby Dani's hub » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:31 am

Here is an interesting video on teflon and birds that a member on another board found. For the record, I have a strong suspicion that this video was strongly encouraged by manufactuers. I don't trust it for a second when so very many people, sites, and experts say the exact opposite.

http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon...523208658912261
Dani's hub

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:36 pm

The link did not come through. But given all of the proof about the PTFE non-stick problem, I would not trust anyone who says it is not a problem . There was a 60 minutes special on the problems with teflon/nonsticki coating.
Maggie-

relink

Postby Dani's hub » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:12 am

Well, that was a a bad link, wasn't it. Try this one.

http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon...523208658912261
Dani's hub

Return to Grey Questions