[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Peek A Boo!

Peek A Boo!

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Peek A Boo!

Postby Cupid07 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:23 am

Hi Maggie,

I just wanted to post you a message & let you know that my little Kismet has spoken his first words. "Peek A Boo". I was shocked. I was watching a movie & he was sitting on my leg with me & I heard him say it. I muted the TV to be sure I heard him correctly & sure enough, he said it again clear as day. I didn't think he would talk this soon. He's only 5 1/2 months. So, now he says Peek A Boo all the time. It's very amusing to hear. I've played peek a boo with him when he hides on a chair under the table & with a towel but I didn't think he enjoyed it as much as he obviously does since that was the first thing he said. Go figure. :-)

On a separate note, I have to go away for 6 days & it breaks my heart to leave him so early. My father is very ill & I am helping my mother fly him to a special hospital in Colorado. It's very important otherwise I would not be leaving so soon. So, I am very worried how he will handle this. I really had planned to go for an overnight or something first but there was no time This trip came up fast. My pet sitter is wonderful. She comes & lives in my house when I am gone. She has come over several times to "meet" kismet and he will even step up onto her hand without too much trouble. He's still a little hesitant but once he's up there, he will chirp at her & make baby noises so I know he's OK with her. I talk to him daily & tell him how much I love him & that I'm not leaving him. I tell him it's only for 6 days & how much love & attention his sitter will give him etc. I will even call home & let him hear my voice on speaker phone each day (although I'm not sure at this young age it will help). I even thought about leaving a t-shirt or something that smells like me in his cage with him but don't know if that works for parrots like it does for puppies. Ha Ha.

Aside from my having to take this trip, my little Kismet is doing very well. He's gotten much better about his eating (finally). He does still spend a lot of time low in his cage. During the day he takes his naps on the floor of the cage or a low perch which I don't understand but he will climb up high to play with the toys up high & to eat so I know he's not afraid to be up there. He just refuses to perch up high. It's very odd. He does sleep (at night) on the high perches but only at night. I'm dumbfounded. But, he's happy, playful, lovable & a little treasure so I don't overly worry about it yet.

If you can think of anything else I should do to make my time away from him easier please let me know. Or if you have any thoughts on why he stays low. I know this is not normal for Grey's to be on the bottom or low like this. Has anyone else ever said their birds do this too?

As always, your site is very helpful!

Linda (and the little Peek A Boo Kismet)
Cupid07

Postby Maggie- » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi Linda,

It is a myth that Greys do not like the bottom of their cages. In Africa, their cousins are partial ground feeders. Being on the ground and walking on the ground are natural to them. So, this may be an instinctive desire to be on the ground and up top. My Merlin likes to hang out on the bottom of her cage too. I put a paper towel cardboard roll on the bottom through the cage barss and she perches on it. She gave me the idea.

Sounds like you plan to do everything right about when you are leaving. 51/2 months is tough though since they are such young little babies at that age. But call a few times a day, if you can. Kismet WILL recognize your voice. Keep saying that you are coming home soon. You may want to try leaving your shirt there. It could help. Can you test some now by having the sitter over, even for an afternoon with you away? When are you leaving?

PEEK-A-BOO! Wow and at 5 months!!! Congrats, kismet! He'll be picking up other phrases soon too. Don't try to push too many phrases. Try to work on the tonality first. My Merle learned so many phrases at once that she did not focus on the sound of voice. She started sounding like a recording instead of my voice, which is fine.

Please keep us posted!!!

Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Postby Cupid07 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:19 am

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am leaving Sunday morning for my trip. However, I have been leaving the room & going upstairs when my petsitter has come over so he has some time alone with her. He does seem to like her but obviously it's not the same as having me with him. :-(

His talking took me by surprise. I wasn't even trying to get him to talk. I didn't think they did until much later. He just picked it up on his own from me playing peek a boo with him. He is actually doing great with pitch & isn't saying other words but is mimicing a lot of the tones of things I say. He's a good little squirt.

I feel better about his being on the bottom of his cage. I do have a rope perch down there for him. He loves the rope perches. He will perch on that or will sometimes just sit on the cage floor itself. I also have rope perches up high for him. I guess he's just one of those guys. As long as he is healthy, if sitting on the floor makes him happy then so be it.

I'll let you know how he did when I return. I already told my sitter to put me on speaker when I check in a few times a day & she will. She did the same with Cupid for me in the past so she knows the drill. She's very good with all of my animals.

Have a wonderful night & I'll post a message when I return next weekend.

Linda & Kismet
Cupid07

Postby Maggie- » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:52 am

Maggie-

Postby Maggie- » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:52 am

Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions