CAG Chewing Skin on Feet

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

CAG Chewing Skin on Feet

Postby 2ndNoah » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:01 pm

For the 2nd time in a little more than a year, my 2 y/o (2 in April) CAG has begun picking areas of skin off of his feet. To my knowledge, nothing changed either time. The first time, the avian vet had him in a collar for 3-4 months, and he became a compulsive water drinker...so, I REALLY don't want to put him in a collar again if at all possible! Any thoughts or ideas on causes and treatments?? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
2ndNoah

Postby Maggie- » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:45 am

What did the vet learn the last time? Was there anything physical or was it an emotional issue? How does his skin look? Most picking is usually related to feathers. This is the first I've heard of feet picking.

I don't know if this article will help, but thought I'd give it a try:
http://www.africangreys.com/articles/nu ... incare.htm

Can you describe when he does it..how often...what circumstances seem to be happening. Was there a change in his life at the first time he did it? I assume the skin picking must have something to do with insecurities. Can you think back to what may be going on that is causing some fears. For example,
1. Has there been a change in his living quarters, such as ....move the cage..add a new cover..different color cover...new toy...something new to the room..and so on.
2. Have there been changes in your life that has caused any stress? Do you have other animals that may be causing fears...

Please think back to every detail that you can. It would also be great if you could email a photo of him to me privately. Send it to merlin@africangreys.com I will continue to think about it.

Hoping some of this helps.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Postby Maggie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:44 pm

How's your baby? Did the article help?

Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions