Bathing

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Bathing

Postby Spider » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi Maggie:

Have had Spider for a week. We are both getting to know each other. I have plenty of questions and observations. I can relate to your last writer on the food issue, but I'll address this later. Spider is weened and fully feathered and eating her food. On the bathing issue, she enters the shower and I have multiple perches she can sit on in and out of the shower stall. But, how wet is wet. She does put some resistance to getting wet as expected, but once on my hand she has a healthy stance to the water. (Our first few days of course, there was only perching and some sprinkle of water--again tolerated and met with a dash to the upper shower curtain rod all the way against the opposite wall from the shower)! As she is drawn towards the shower stream she stretches her neck out and tries to drink the water. Then I put her beak to it and she seems to tolerate the feel of the stream. All the while, she getting sprayed with water. We do this for a bit. Its tolerated, but you can tell there is little love there. We do this daily. Then its back to her perch, and then a quick leap on to the curtain rod again. She does not seem to get very wet, i.e., down to the skin wet. Her feathers do get wet superficially, but she is not soaked to the skin. I am not sure how wet is wet to make sure she is clean. :?: Can you address. John
Spider

Postby Maggie- » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:25 am

John,

You and Spider are doing very well! It will take time for her to get used to the system and even like the water. Not all Greys like to get wet. But you can encourage it by playing with the water and having fun acting silly in the shower. Let her hang on one of the perches and watch. Then sprinkle a little on her and laugh. The more fun you are having, the more likely she will eventually fall into it. You may also want to try the casserole dish. Put some water in one and place on top of her cage. Play with the water with your hands and act silly again. Again, it is all about having fun and being the daddy-bird to teach her (as best as humans can) what to do.

Some Greys get soaked. Others don't. My guys still do not love the shower. In a new home, I have to get them readjusted to it too.

PLEASE keep us posted! Wow! Just a week, huh? They are SO precious at that young age. Cherish the baby time you guys have together and remember that you are replacing the parent and need to teach her everything.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Bathing

Postby Spider » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:37 am

Thanks Maggie, I'll work on it... John :D
Spider

Postby Maggie- » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:53 pm

You are most certainly welcome, John! Ask away anytime.

But mostly, ENJOY that time you have of getting to know each other!

Maggie-
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions