New Bird

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

New Bird

Postby Spider » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 pm

Was wondering if Maggy or others may know. Would it be good to start a newly weened Grey with fine or course pellets? I was also wondering about food quantity. I am gone for most of day and I have four bowls in my cage. Should all be filled when I leave in the morning? Suggestions on what to fill it with would be appreciated. I just don't want to use pellets. I also have a kabob. John
Spider

Postby Maggie- » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi John,

I believe we communicated by email. As far as pellets are concerned, either way. Go with what the breeder has already introduced and then slowly change, if you need to.

I suggest a veggie bowl, then a dry food bowl to contain the nuts/seeds and so on. If you are using the water bottle and do not need a bowl for water, then you can use number 3 for pellets....or put pellets with dry foods. The fourth could be "play foods," such as carrot sticks or even foot toys in the bottom of the cage.

Regarding water, if you use the water bottle, please make sure your baby also learns to drink out of a water bowl. Someday you may need to use a water bowl, in an emergency or something. If the bird does not recognize it to drink from, he will not drink. So, please train to both.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

New Bird

Postby Spider » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:39 am

We did email. Thanks for the tips. I actually have your book and am following it. The advice about food is very helpful. I also want to thank you for this site and your work! WOW. I equate the site to somethiong like calling mom when one is about to have a first baby. Anyway, thanks. John

P.S. Spider is due on the 18th of this month. Will send a pic. :D
Spider

Postby Maggie- » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 am

Looking forward to the pictures. By the way, our animal video/photo site is up and running. PLEASE add your materials. The site is for ALL animals.

www.AnimalLoversUnited.com

Blessings,
Maggie-

PS: ALL peop0le reading this, please visit the new site and participate!
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions