The help of a happy tone

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

The help of a happy tone

Postby allie » Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Maggie, I am still enjoying your book so much. I had read so many books about Greys and parrots when I got her, but I found it helpful to review how to keep my girl happy. I think I start to move to fast when she makes steps forward from being unsocialized, and it helps to read that I need to move in steps that she is comfortable with.

Also, I wanted to note how much the "happy" voice helps her when she's scared or unsure. When I first got her, I had to speak so softly that I couldn't really use this technique, however, now that she's used to me and my voice, I've noticed several times when she was frightened and I spoke happily and excitedly immediatly about the issue or object, she changes her demeanor too.

Today she landed near my oscillating fan (It's got a fine grill covering the fan) and got very upset with warning beeps and all. I waited a moment, as you recommend, then offered my hand, she stepped up and I said, "oooo that fan makes us sooo cool. Ooo feels so good. Isn't this fun?" and I would move her slowly in front of it and then back to me again. Before it was over, she was a "fan" of the fan (it's 90F already here) and was wagging her tail in front of the fan and all excited herself! Now she likes to be held in front of the fan, and likes to perch on my hand over the outflow of my air filter!

Thanks Maggie!
Allie and Luna
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Postby Maggie » Wed May 16, 2007 12:17 am

Allie,

I LOVE reading your posts about how you are helping Luna work through so many things. Our Greys are so different that it helps to read how others handle things. We can ALL learn from each other.

Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions