Night fright

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Night fright

Postby Ann » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Maggie, It's been a long time since I posted. Had medical problem, then in December right before Christmas my Little Smokey few out the door. I was totally heart-broken. We looked everywhere , offered rewards, put out posters, but no luck. He was a love and I miss him every day.
The latter part of Jan. a friend called and asked me if I would take in a TAG that was 5 years old from a woman who was very ill. She had 5 birds and needed to find homes for all. Needless to say I took in little Bobbie. He is totally different from Smokey. He has not been sexed but they said they thought it was a male. He did come to me instantly, will only step up on my arm and immediately goes to shoulder. I am trying to get him to step up on my finger. He was on an all seed diet but have finally gotten him over to a better diet. He talks some but nothing like Smokey. He is very sweet. He talked a lot more when we first got him but was very hard to understand.
This morning at 2:00 I heard this horrible screaching noise. He was flying around his cage and making an awful noise, then my cockatoo started. They stay in a room next to our bedroom so you can imagine the noise. I went in and finally got them calmed down but he would not go back in his cage. I left him sitting on the cage door and he still refuses to go in. I had to feed him on top of is cage and he has not gone in yet. I don't know if he fell off his perch or had a bad dream (if they dream). I never close him in his cage unless I leave and at night. He seemed to prefer his cage to being outside. I will take him into the kitchen and he will sit on a perch but always seems insecure. Maybe I am comparing him to Smokey, but I had Smokey from the time he was 5 months old, so I know it will take time for him to become adjusted. Had never experienced night fright before and really didn't know what to do about them. Thanks for any advice. There is nothing like a Grey, love them to death.
Ann

Postby Maggie- » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Ann!

I am the expert on night frights. My Merlin has them more than the other Greys. That's why I used to put their sleeping cages in my bedroom.....so I could open the cage door ASAP. When Merlin and Pea have them, they lose their entire tail feathers. The feathers just drop off. That is a nervous system reaction, similar to doves losing feathers when attacked by a predator.

I don't know what night frights come from. Sometimes they are from bad dreams...sometimes a sound in the night...sometimes an intruder, such as a mouse. But whatever it is, it scares the ****** out of the birds.

One night I was out of town and a person came to the apartment to feed them for me (away only ONE night). But apparently, a car backfired in the middle of the night, and it set off both Pea and Merle. Pea lost 30 feathers that night by flailing in the toys in the cage because there was no one to stop her. Thank God, both came through it okay. Since then, I will NOT let them stay alone one single night.

The long winded answer to you is that Bobbie is pretty normal. I have found that if I leave night lites on, the birds can correct themselves quicker than if in the dark. The other piece of advice is to rush there when you can. If Bobbie sleeps in a sleeping cage, put as few things in there as possible so he will not flail against them. I only put a water bowl in the sleeping cages now.

I'm SO sorry about Smokey! You must have looked and looked. Unfortunately, it sounds like someone decided to keep him. And I know it is hard NOT to compare. But it would really help Bobbie to try to avoid it. Also, Timnehs have different personalities than Congos....although Congos probably have a higher propensity towards night frights. Cockatiels are the biggest night frighters.

Anyway, my prayers are with you, Bobbie and with Smokey.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Night fright

Postby Ann » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I have been keeping the room dark because my cockatoo is in a hormonal mood and they suggest 12 hours of sleep in a totally dark room. I am going to leave his door open and if he wants to sleep on it tonight instead of going into his cage I feel that might be better than putting him in a sleeping cage. I'm afraid that might upset him even more. Will let you know how he does.

It was right before Xmas that I lost Smokey. It had taken him 3 years to grow his wings out and I didn't have the heart to clip them again. They had been clipped so short that one side did not grow and when it finally did, he was so happy to be flying. He had a perfect route, from his perch in the kitchen, through the living room and bedroom and to his cage. My daughter was bringing in some Xmas presents and the door blew open. He was on his cage and when he started for the kitchen the door was in his way and he went out. I did not know immediately that he was gone so had no idea which way he went. We live in the country with open fields all around us. I have a feeling that he landed in one of the fields and a hawk possibly got him. If we had been in a neighborhood I think I could have found him because when I whistled he would always come. The weather was not cold so he could have survived that. I walked these fields over and over, my children and grand children helped. They have a golden retriever and we even took him out. It was a very sad Christmas. I know that I should not compare him to Bobbie, which I try not to, but I did love that little guy and he is very much missed. I love Bobbie and he is very attached to me but is very good about going to other people. When he sees me or hears my voice he gives out a long whistle. Sorry to be so long, just wanted you to know. Also had a bout with the big C last summer and Smokey sat on my pillow and knew I was not feeling well. He would sit there and every now and then start to preem my hair. There is nothing like these little birds. They completely take over your heart and they do not let it go.
Ann

Postby Maggie- » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Ann,

I'm SO sorry about Smokey! Your post made me cry for both of you. If a hawk got him, I guarantee you he is still with you and watching out for you and Bobbie.

If your current sytem doesn't work, please do try a sleeping cage arrangement in another room where you can use a night lite. It would help. But transition slowly. I would find a small cage to be the sleeper. Then let Bobbie get used to it by seeing it for a while...then playing in it...then sitting in it for a few days/weeks in the day (ONLY IN THE DAY AT THIS POINT AND POSSIBLY FOR ONLY A FEW HOURS/DAY)...then finally trying it at night. It would need to be a slow transition.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Greys Wings

Postby Ann » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks Maggie, I haave a small cage that I used to take to Florida with me, will put it our bedroom and try gradually for him to get used to it. We plan on going to Fla. in May and I plan on taking him so I do need to get him use to it. A.
Ann

Postby Maggie- » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:21 pm

GREY'T idea! Please keep us posted!
Maggie-
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions