Farewell dear friend...

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Farewell dear friend...

Postby Cupid07 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:24 am

It is with a heavy heart that I write this posting. My beloved Cupid has died at only two years of age. He had to have surgery earlier this week to remove several feather shafts that were stuck beneath the skin in his wing. They were causing him discomfort and he was picking at his wing so my vet recommended they be removed. As he was coming out of his anesthesia, his heart stopped and despite the vet's best efforts, he could not be revived. Even though I know I made the right decision to try to help him, and the surgery was necessary, I can't help but wonder "what if".

I had purchased Cupid at a very young age and hand fed him formula for the first several weeks of his life. We developed an incredible bond and I can honestly say I never thought a little bird could bring so much happiness to my life. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't laugh at something he did or said. His latest game was hanging upside down under the kitchen table and when I would look for him & play the "where's Cupid?" game, I would hear this little voice say "I see you!!!" Although it actually was more like "I thee you". This was his favorite game to play. Especially in the mornings while I was preparing his breakfast. My favorite thing was when he was climb onto my arm and say "kisses?" and then would put his head against my lips so I could kiss him. It always amazed me at how human like he really was.

Cupid was a beautiful, loving, intelligent, affectionate, happy and humorous. I can never express the empty feeling I have now that he's gone. I wanted to post this message as a farewell to my beautiful grey. He will forever be in my heart.

Thank you Maggie for all of your wonderful advice and for giving all of us this site to use. Even though I haven't posted very often in the past, I thoroughly enjoy reading the postings and hearing about other grey companions. At some point, when my heart has healed, I hope to get another grey to fill my home with happy chatter once again.
Cupid07

Kisses

Postby Maggie » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:33 am

Dear Linda,

I cannot tell you how saddened I am about Cupid! It upsets me every time a fellow Grey pet human loses their beloved companion. Greys are so special and they bring such joy to our hearts. When I fell for my first Grey Merlin, I fell for the entire Congo and Timneh species.....our little ladies and knights in shining gray armored feathers.

By your description, I can feel the joy and love this little one brought to you and everyone he met. He is with you now.....and when you heal and are ready, he will come back to you. Things like this happen for a reason, but only God knows the reason. So, we must have Faith and Trust that you will be brought back together soon.

You and Cupid are in my thoughts and prayers.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings & Love,
Maggie-
Maggie

Postby allie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:55 pm

So sorry for your loss. It brings tears to my eyes. Having these exotic animals in our homes, I'm finding, is fraught with risks. You did what you thought was best for your Cupid; don't blame yourself. You were lucky to have him. I'm just so sorry that your time together was so brief. My thoughts are with you. I care so deeply for my girl, Luna, that I know I would be heartbroken too.

allie and luna
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Return to Grey Questions