Feather Clipping

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Feather Clipping

Postby snipeorod » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:22 pm

I have let Chili's feathers grow out completely. I was curious whether he was fully flighted before his wings were first clipped. I am sure he was not because he has yet to even make an attempt at flying. Besides the obvious safety concerns of flying into things in the house or flying out completely...is there a benefit for a grey to keep his feathers natural or would I be better off clipping them? And if clipping is the best thing to do how many feathers would you recommend clipping?
snipeorod

Postby Maggie- » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:25 pm

Fledging (learning to fly as a baby) has an important psychological factor. It is like a "rite of passage" of becoming of age: moving into personhood and growing up. Therefore, when a bird learns to fly, it develops enormous confidence. It also develops agility and so on. So, when our babies do not learn to fly, they can be less confident and more clumsy. None of mine ever learned to fly....but I think since then, many breeders had learned the importance of letting their babies learn to fly before clipping the wings to sell them.

Possibly Chili was like my guys and never flew. It is okay to stay that way. Letting your bird fly is an enormous responsibility and should really be thought through before ever doing it. You would need to thoroughly bird proof the house and teach the bird yourself. Otherwise, having clipped wings is better.

There are many out there who are more knowledgable about clipping. But in my book, I say to start by clipping the first 4 or 5 primary feathers (from the outside). Do NOT clip really short or Chilli will become very clumsy. Wings are not just for flying: they are also important for balance and coordination. Look in the Spring 2002 download in this membership section. There is an article in that by Jane Hallander about clipping too.

The purpose of clipping is so that the bird can fly DOWN without a problem but cannot get a lift. So, that is your goal.

NEVER clip the feathers when they are blood feathers.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

What age for first clip after fledging?

Postby NancyJBritting » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:26 pm

Our CAG Baxter is now 5 mo. old, and still has his flight feathers. We wanted him to gain the psychological advantage and confidence that being "fully fledged" gives a CAG.

I am wondering if anyone has advice on when to do the first clipping? I feel Baxter needs a little more time to gain a little more expertise. In the month since we have had him, he has learned to choose a landing spot and go there more consistently and come to my hand more consistently. But if startled into flight, he has trouble keeping his senses about him and is more likely to crash-land rather than select a safe place to land properly. Also, I'd like more time to work on recall from a greater distance.

However, it is very nerve-racking to constantly worry that someone will open a door while Baxter is in flight. So...........again..........at what point can I feel that Baxter has gained all the good that can come from being "fully fledged?"
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Nancy,

Here's a link to an old article by Jane Hallander on clipping:
http://www.africangreys.com/articles/ot ... pping.html

You will have to use your intuition on how long to let him fledge. The good thing is that we're heading into the winter and there's much less outdoor activity.

My guys were never allowed to fledge before being clipped, and I'm sorry about that; but that is how it was at that time. I share your anxiety about someone leaving a door open by mistake. You will just need to keep some kind of house rule where the room that Baxter is in will always be closed when you are not there, or something.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Jane Hallander's article on clippiing

Postby NancyJBritting » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:52 am

That was a great article on clipping flight feathers, and I will follow her advice when I am ready to clip Baxter's wings.....not clip them too short. After reading her article, I do believe that a too-short wing clip before we got her started all the phobia problems of our 5-yr-old rescued CAG, Bonnie.

I was very intrigued with the "painless for both human and bird" suggestion on how to clip their wings.........sitting on the floor and doing it quickly. Is that how you clip Merlin's and Sweet Pea's wings -- and does it work as smoothly as it sounds? I am always concerned about one bad interaction with a CAG turning them fearful from then on!

Nancy
NancyJBritting

Postby merlin » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:51 am

Hi Nancy,

Jane did it perfectly. I get others to clip my birds. Sometimes things work a lot better when you "train" your babies into the systems when they are young.

I'm sure you will be able to figure a way to do it! Your baby is more maleable at that age.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions