AfricanGrey her name is Lucy

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

AfricanGrey her name is Lucy

Postby stocktonc7 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:53 am

We have had Lucy for about six months now, so we are new at this so we are looking for all the help we can get. Lucy is 19 years old now, and we are her third owners. Our concerns is that Lucy pulls her feathers all the time off of her legs, and she shakes her head all the time, even when we are not talking to her. :cry: And when we put new paper in the bottom of her cage she goes down and tears it up.

Also she will not get on my wifes hand although she feeds her all the time when I am not there.

So please help. Thank You
stocktonc7

Postby Maggie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 pm

Dear Stockton,

It is normal for Greys to chew up paper. Lucy is a VERY NORMAL young lady. If it upsets you, then remove the paper before you let her out. And put something else there for her to chew.

As for picking, most picking stems from something physical. So, get her vet checked. If he finds nothing, I will help you work through some behavioral issues. Remember that Lucy is now in her THIRD home. She is probably quite anxious and a little insecure. So, please remind her how loved and safe she is.

The head shaking is common in Greys. It may be due to a feather in the ear....a low level sound that humans do not hear....or even a habit. If the vet can find nothing wrong, I would relax about it. It may be a part of her being nervous about being in yet ANOTHER new home. I think your giving her all the love you can will help her in so many ways.

You are the mate, therefore, your wife is the competition. So, we need to make your wife the popular TREAT GIVER. Find a treat that Lucy absolutely LOVES, such as sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts or something. Do NOT serve to Lucy anymore in her cage or food bowl. Break into tiny bits (or one seed at a time) and let your wife feed the bits to Lucy when she behaves. She should start by feeding the bits thru the cage bars. Please don't serve too many bits at one time...watch the diet. But I promise that over time, Lucy will LOVE your wife. Maybe more than you! Let me know how this works.

Please keep me posted.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions