[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Grey stopped talking

Grey stopped talking

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Grey stopped talking

Postby merlin » Thu May 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether you could answer a question for me regarding my African Grey Parrot. He is 5 years old and until now, has had a 30 word vocabulary. Last week he stopped talking and we were wondering why this may be. He has kept the same diet and had the same level of interaction that he has always had. The only difference is there has been some minor building work going on next door and also I have moved back into the house after 6 months. I find it strange that he has become nearly completely silent over the last few days. He is still eating though which I assume is a good sign. Do you think I should be worried and what could be the causes of his sudden silence.
Would appreciate a response, thank you.
James
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Grey stopped talking

Postby merlin » Thu May 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Dear James,

From your description, it sounds like something happened last week to cause him to act a little phobic. Did something happen at that exact period of time as when he stopped? Although it may seem small to you, it would not be to a small prey bird. When exactly did you move back into the house? Did you move big equipment or anything different by his cage? Is the territory by his cage the same... last week, did something happen or be placed around or near it (like when you moved in)? When did the construction start? Was it exceptionally loud last week? Did something happen outside the window? Keep asking yourselves questions like these.

You are on the right track and need to investigate the exact cause that stopped him from talking. It may also help to get a vet check JUST to make sure nothing physical has happened. If it interests you, you may even want to find an animal communicator who could possibly talk with him and help you determine what happened.

Will continue to think about this issue. Please keep me posted.
GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Grey stopped talking

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi James,
I too would suggest a vet visit to rule out medical. Please keep us informed.
IT could be the recent changes in the household, the noise next door but best to rule out medical first.
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions