[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - introducing to new cage

introducing to new cage

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

introducing to new cage

Postby merlin » Mon May 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Hello,

I am a moderator on a parrot forum and always give a link to your web page with a new grey owner.

Question: I purchased a medium size cage to take my TAG ourside in for natural sunshine.
For 4 days new she is been thinking it is a big monster. Today (4th day) I was holding her steady and she did sit on the perch on top of this cage but when I let go of her she flies off. What is the best way to go about helping her to be comfortable with this cage so that we can use it??

Dianne from Maryland
merlin
Site Admin

Re: introducing to new cage

Postby merlin » Mon May 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi Dianne,

For future reference, the reason these parrots are so afraid of new things like that is because their instincts tell them the new objects may be predators. Greys are partial ground feeders, and so, they are particularly nervous about new things that are around them or their cages. In the wild, cats, snakes, and other ground predators sneak up very slowly. So, the wild parrot must always be aware of EVERYTHING around them. Since our greys are still wild instinctively, anything new triggers that reaction.

Again, for the future, I have found that when introducing my greys to new cages, the best thing to do is to have the new one look similar to the current one... or at least have the same color. The transition comes much easier that way.

Now, when your parrot is afraid of a new cage, carrier, or any other object, you need to introduce it very, very slowly like a toy. You also need to pay a lot of attention to it and play with or fiddle with it. Act like you are having fun. It may take a few weeks or a month, but the best thing is to act like YOU love it and pay a lot of attention to it.

Once your TAG has shown curiosity and fascination with your fascination, let her sit on the cage door for a brief time. When she sits there, lavishly praise her with words and/or a treat. As she becomes more comfortable, continue to praise and reward her. Continue to do this slowly until she is comfortable with the cage. Eventually, you can put her in the cage, but ALWAYS be there to supervise for the first few times she is in the cage.

Hoping this helps you. Thank you so much for referring people to this site!
GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Re: introducing to new cage

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:27 pm

When I purchased Emma a new cage, she was frightened to it as well. I set them up side by side and slowly moved her favored toys into the new one. I would stand by the new one, play with the toys and talk to her. It took her about two weeks to make the move and she has been fine ever since. She has now decided that she also wants a sleep cage. So this would actually be her third cage and she had no issues going in that one at all. Her sleep cage is set up next to her day cage, so you can say her real estate takes up the entire wall in the bird room. :?
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions