Relaxing my nervous Grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Relaxing my nervous Grey

Postby merlin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:23 am

Hello, My name is Amanda. I'm having some problems, and I'm hoping you might be able to help. My mother and I purchesed a grey about a year and a half ago. My husband and two girls were living with my parents when we purchased Gracie. SHe was very young. Not really sure of her age. But we hand fed her for about two mth. Anyways, My family and I moved out Feb. 2012 was a year. So Gracie has been with my mom and ONLY my mom for that time. My father is only home on weekends. So my mom and I though that gracie would benifit greatly by living with me and my family. Hoping she would become more social. Now Iv had her in my home for only about a week. I know she is VERY nervous and unsure. I know it will take some time for her to get use to my home. Where is loud and busy. where my moms home was quiet. My question is this; what can I do to help her with this big change?

Thank you in advance,
Amanda in Georgia
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Relaxing my nervous Grey

Postby merlin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:24 am

Dear Amanda,

Once Gracie adjusts, she's going to love living with you in your home. The most important thing is to help her feel safe and secure. Here are some ideas:

- Locate her cage in a less busy part of the house, at least for now while she adjusts to the change in noise and activity. That could mean in the living room or family room... but in a quiet corner place in that room. Try to make sure that the back of her cage and one other side are against the wall in a corner. This will help her feel more secure and feel that she doesn't have to be looking around all sides of the cage. Also, place the cage so that it is on the opposite wall to the entry door into the room. This will allow her to see you walk in the room instead of being surprised if her back is to the door.

- Any time that you approach her cage, announce that you're coming into the room and walk up slowly to the cage. Make sure your daughters are calm and quiet when they are near the cage. Quick and loud noise does make greys more nervous.

- If your daughters are noisy and rough-house in your home, think about putting some kind of barrier in front of the cage, so that Gracie feels safe. If you can, place the cage higher up so she feels like she's looking down and safe from the playful kids.

- Teach your daughters about how important it is to be calm and low-key around Gracie. Give them a special job to help you with feeding or cleaning the cage. Come up with fun word games the girls can play with Gracie.

- Spend lots of time near the cage and working with Gracie. Always let her know how much you love her and are happy she's finally home. Do 15-minute practice sessions with her. Take her out of the cage... sit down and practice having her climb from one hand to another to practice to UP/DOWN commands. Introduce your daughters, one at a time and let them sit quietly with her, too.

These are a few quick ideas. Congrats! You and Gracie have a GREY'T adventure ahead!

Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions