[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - New Grey with travel & child

New Grey with travel & child

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

New Grey with travel & child

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:29 am

Hi ... I am going to be a new African grey owner soon I hope. I wanted to make sure I am going to have a suitable home for the bird. I have been told many different things and don't know which advice to take. We have a military family and we move every 3-4 years. I have a 4 year old girl and I do not work at the present time. Do you think I will be a suitable owner for a grey? Can I get my parrot used to change? Thank you for your time.

Missy-
merlin
Site Admin

Re: New Grey with travel & child

Postby merlin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 am

Dear Missy,

Congratulations! You are about to experience an incredible relationship!

The move of every 3-4 years will not be a problem. My greys have lived with me in about 8 homes over the past 20 years. The key is to help your grey become comfortable quickly. I usually take my guys to the new home before we move in and let them hang out on travel perches to get used to the energy before bringing furniture. That is when the new home is close by. Then I would talk about the place and how we are going to be happy there, and so on. You don't have to do it that way but it has worked for me. The key is to introduce things slowly and in a way that feels safe for your bird.

You will be a wonderful grey pet human, if your heart is into it. Be very careful about your daughter's interaction with the bird. Greys can get nervous around kids because kids' movements are so quick. A way to help the bird is to have the cage higher up or at least buffered in some way that your daughter cannot run up to the cage on her own. You can teach your child responsibility and give her a task for helping you with the bird. Be very careful about your child touching your new companion and remember that a grey can bite quickly if shaken by the quick movements and so on. Just be very careful and closely supervise.

Please stay in touch and let me know when you get your new companion.
Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Re: New Grey with travel & child

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Missy!
Thank you for your families sacrifices. I am also part of a military family with deep roots in the Army.
We've been transferred several times and my flock of greys have done well with change. Reason being is because their mainstay
of humans and things around them stay the same, its just another room or house to them. Biggest thing with being military is if you are staying in country and transferring as compared to differnt parts of the world. That can be tricky.
Good luck with finding your companion and we are here to help if you need any!
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions