Unhappy Grey

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Unhappy Grey

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Stopped in at a tile store in Michigan where a very unhappy Grey has pulled out his feathers and now is attacking itself by pecking at his chest . The owner seems to be responsible and has taken it to the vet but is at wits end of why his parrot is so unhappy. My sister and I want to help this bird but we are dog and cat people and he has offered us the parrot but dont know what to do and with numerous cats in our home it would probably only add to this parrot's misery. He has had the parrot for some 3 years - can we help him?

Thanks,
Mary
merlin
Site Admin

Re: Unhappy Grey

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 pm

Dear Mary,
I'm sorry the grey is going through these problems. Do you know what the vet told the owner? It is important to first determine what has happened to cause the bird to pluck. If you really want to help the grey, perhaps you can do it by helping the owner figure out the problem first. There is a myriad of things that could have caused it.

Please tell the owner that the plucking may not be because the bird is unhappy, but there could be something physical that is causing it. Tell him that he and the vet should make sure they have checked these things:
- Zinc test and other metals to make sure he has not been exposed to them.
- Giardia and aspergillosis testing to make sure there is no fungus or parasites in the bird
- nutritional profile from a blood test. The bird could be allergic to something in the food... or if the bird is eating pellets, he could be "over-supplemented" by too many of a nutrient or allergic to artificial and scientifically formulated ingredients A lot of greys that are on predominately pellet diets (scientifically formulated) start to pluck.
- Any other health issues
- Could the bird be allergic to some dust or particles in the tile store?

Please just make sure the owner and vet look at every aspect they can find as to physical cause.

Once the possible physical causes have been run through, that's when he should look at the emotional issues. Then, the owner should think about what happened on the FIRST day the bird started plucking. Did something happen to scare the bird? If the owner wants to talk with or contact me, that would be fine.

Now to your question. To bring the bird into your home, your cats would need to be told they MUST NEVER, NEVER, NEVER attack or scare the bird. You would need to closely supervise. The bigger question is if you're up to really being able to help the bird. He needs someone who knows greys to come in and help. Could you look for someone through a bird vet, bird store, or bird club in your area?

These are a few ideas. God bless you for caring about this beautiful creature!
Blessings,
Maggie-
www.AfricanGreys.com
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions