[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - baby grey behavior

baby grey behavior

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

baby grey behavior

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:54 am

Hello, I just got a baby Grey for Christmas her name is Noel. :) I have some questions about behavior and if its normal or not. First, she is about 4 months old. When she came here on Christmas she was letting everyone touch her and pet her. Now not even 2 weeks later she is picking who she will let touch her. Is that good or bad?? She even bite my son who is 4 years old (draw-ed blood) which I don't understand because he is very good with her and she liked him when she first got here. My son loves her and Thank goodness he has not gave up on trying to pet her. She is getting nippy (like overnight) and I don't know what to do about it....what do i say or do to stop her?? I know she is a baby and I want to do the right thing I don't want to make things worse. She is wonderful with me but she nippy with others and she was not 2 weeks ago. Second, she gets all crazy while eating her food like if you stand by her she opens mouth and bends down and gets all aggressive but when i pet her she does not bite but I would be scared if someone else tried to touch her. Is she being "food aggressive" "territorial"? should i be worried about this behavior?? What should I do?? Thank you so much for listening to me....I KNOW this girl is extremely intelligent and I just don't want to make any mistakes with her, I love her sooooo much and I want her to be mentally and physically happy and I know each day counts she is growing and developing :)

Cindy
merlin
Site Admin

Re: baby grey behavior

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:55 am

Dear Cindy,

It makes sense that Noel's behavior has changed in two weeks because that's the basic "window" when a pet bird learns about the new home (territory)... and adapts its behavior. It is important to help her get along with others, but you need to do it slowly and build a trust bond so that she feels comfortable with the different people. Her case of biting is defensive to stop everyone from touching her and trying to handle her. It must be done slowly and at her pace.

Baby greys can tend to adapt to one person whom he/she sees as a "mommy" bird. She looks up to you to teach her her living skills on how to adapt to life and the family. I suggest that you get a copy of my pet manual which is called "African grey parrots: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual. " You can get an autographed copy of it from my site or a regular copy from Amazon. http://www.africangreys.com/greyplace/autographbook.htm

Greys can tend to be nervous around young children because the kids move around quickly and are somewhat unpredictable. She does not hate your son: her biting is defensive to communicate that she does not want to be touched. Instead of letting him try to pet her, give him a job that doesn't deal with touching her. You can get him to help you teach her to talk, although she may not be talking until 12-18 months old. Or you can get him to help you prepare the food.

Please make sure that Noel's cage is set up high so that she feels safe from being touched by lots of people. You need to help her feel secure in the home. If you want to talk with me on the phone about specifics to your situation, I do telephone consultations at $35/half hour, plus a follow-up. You can sign up here: http://www.africangreys.com/greyplace/telephone.htm

Also, Greys don't really like to be "petted." They like to be gently rubbed on the top of the head and face, when they bow their heads and ask for it. But the touching on the back and wings is very personal and not something they prefer, unless they are more intimately close with the human. Baby greys are more cuddly, but they are less so when they grow up.

You can teach Noel to get along with the whole family, but again, it takes time and each person in the household needs to build their own relationship with her. But again, you cannot pet her like a dog. She has to trust and accept the human first. Please get my book.

Congratulations! Welcome to the incredible world of greys. You are in for a treat.

Hoping this helps.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Maggie,

When she is eating her (soak & cook beans) its mushy. She is totally involved... her whole head is in the bowl and her beak is covered with food and if she looks up and i'm standing there or just walk by she starts swaying back and forth and jabbing with mouth open at me but if i put my hand in the cage and pet her she lets me or pick up the food and hand feed her she does not bite but sure looks like she is going to.What should I do?

Cindy
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi Cindy,
When she has her head in the bowl and is really enjoying the food, just let her be and do not try to touch her. Let it be her private space.
Maggie
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Maggie,
Thank you so much for all your help!! I am so excited to have a relationship with our new member of the family. Your advice has put me a lot at ease :) I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it!! Just knowing I have somewhere to turn for help makes me feel so relieved!!
Thanks for all you do!!
xoxo Cindy, Noah & Family
merlin
Site Admin

Postby merlin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Cindy,
I'm thrilled you are feeling more relaxed. An autographed copy of the manual is being sent today.

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 am

I'm happy to hear things are going well. Welcome to the wonderful world of Greys!
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions