apartment parrot?

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

apartment parrot?

Postby merlin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi,

Is a Grey suitable for an apartment? Or would it be too loud? How far away can a Grey be heard?

Thank you!
merlin
Site Admin

Re: apartment parrot?

Postby merlin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi,

Like any parrot, greys CAN make noise... BUT they are generally known to be the "quieter" of the parrots. I lived in a NYC apartment for 15+ years with three greys. No one ever complained.

Now realize that they can learn noises that could upset others. For example, they love to learn the microwave sound, the ringing telephone... and yes, the cockatoo scream. Like all parrots, they like sounds. They could copy the construction sounds from outside. But there are things you could do to your apartment, such as keep your bird in an "inside" room, away from neighbors. Or you could put fabric or something on the wall to absorb sound. You could also reward your bird for being quiet and if there is a noisy period of the day, take your bird to a quieter area that will not disturb.

If you meet a grey that steals your heart, I WOULD NOT let this issue stop you. Where there's a will, there's a way... especially when love is involved.

Please keep us posted.
Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions