[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - advice please

advice please

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

advice please

Postby merlin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Can you please tell my why an African grey would bite himself to the point of bleeding. My bird started to bite last week on 11/4/11 then my husband started to pay alot more attention to him and he stop biting himself. My husband spends the mornings and evening with him. This morning when I woke up the bird had bit himself again really bad. What can we do to stop this bad behavior? Any advice why birds bite themselves?

Thanks,
Linda
merlin
Site Admin

Re: advice please

Postby merlin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Linda,

Sometimes the biting and self-mutilation can be from something hormonal or physical. Did you get your bird vet checked? It would be a good idea to do so.

Secondly, please try to think back to around the 4th. Can you remember what was going on around that time that may have stimulated your bird to bite himself? What was going on between you...and you, your husband and your bird? Maybe this way, we can help you pinpoint the original cause.

Also, please realize that if your husband gives over-attention to your bird when he bites, your grey may learn to keep harming himself to get attention. So, please be aware of that and try to avoid being obvious about attention after he bites. There is NOTHING wrong with attention... but we just don't want the bird to associate it with self-biting and then he uses it to maniplulate.

Please think back to the 4th and let me know if you can remember any certain events that may have happened to trigger the first incident. Meanwhile, I will do some research on self-biting mutilation.

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Re: advice please

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:45 am

Hi. Sorry to hear of your little one. Mutilation can come from varied reasons. Where is he mutilating?
What needs to be done is a vet check by a reputable avian vet. It could be medical and the wounds can get infected.
If you need help locating one, please let me know and I will research one for you.
Lisa A. Bono

Return to Grey Questions