Vet Visit

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Vet Visit

Postby snipeorod » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:19 am

I take Chili to the vet once a year for an annual checkup and as needed in between. He goes to the same vet but I have been thinking of taking him to one closer to home. I talked to the new vet and he gave me a list of recommended items for an annual exam including...general comprehensive exam, bacterial culture, fecal exam to lab, gram stain, and an avian comprehensive profile. Naturally every item is priced separate and adds up to quite a bill. Fees aside, do you feel all of this is needed annually? It just seems like all of this work might cause undue stress. The new vet is an AAV vet whereas his current vet is not although he does treat many exotic birds. Sorry for such a long post but I just want to make sure Chili gets the best health care possible.
snipeorod

Postby Maggie » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 pm

I'm not sure if I know what all of the areas comprise. But the general physical check over and poop test (gram stain and all of that) is what they are generally given when they come to the vet. I think a nutritional profile (I guess is an avian comprehensive profile) doesn't seem to be needed EVERY year....but it should be done once as a "BASE" and then done when it appears needed in future...same for bacteria.

BUT I'm not a vet. You may want to speak with the vet. Tell him you would like to work with him but cannot afford all of that work every year....ask him to help you work things out to meet your budget.

Maggie-
Maggie

Postby snipeorod » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:28 pm

Maggie, its not the money I am worried about just undue stress that might cause Chili. One of the items is a full blood work up....to take blood they need to be given a little gas correct? The last time I took him in for blood work when he was sick his vet gave him just enough to relax him but not to knock him out. The new vet wants to do blood work every year. This is what he means by a comprehensive profile. My concern is for Chili.
snipeorod

Postby Maggie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:20 am

I agree. I would not agree to blood work up every year. The vets I have worked with have agreed to do a "base blood panel" and then additional bloodwork in the future as needed. The BASE would be the benchmark for comparison.

They did the bloodwork on Merlin without gasing. It was tough but she calmed down. I have also heard of people who have lost their Greys while under anesthesia, so I am leary about it too.

I would not agree to a yearly blood panel either.

We bird people need to be confident enough to speak up for our companions.....even if it is to vets "who think they know best."

Please keep me posted.

GREY'T Weekend!
Maggie-
Maggie

Postby snipeorod » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:29 am

I will be taking Chili in for his annual check up with his regular vet next week. It will just be a physical exam and I will discuss with him any blood work ups or other tests that he recommends might be needed and how often. He has never recommended anything that I thought was not reasonable but it will be interesting to see what he says compared to the other vet I talked to.
snipeorod

Postby Maggie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:11 pm

It is ALWAYS better to get two opinions about this, especially when you are dealing with the health and welfare of Chili.

This issue will then be ..... which vet makes you feel will take better care of Chili.

Did you discuss the idea with the new vet that you are not up for a yearly blood profile and putting Chili under extra undue stress?

Have a GREY'T day!
Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions