Going Green

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Going Green

Postby allie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:05 am

Hi Maggie,

This is a humorous post, but any advice is appreciated: I have been giving Luna finely chopped greens of different types mixed with her beloved Harrison's or alone in the morning to encourage her to actually eat them. Well today I tried mustard greens (a Southern standard; someone always has some in their garden) raw and chopped as well as about a teaspoon of cooked ones all sprinkled over her afternoon Harrison''s dinner. I wanted her to HAVE to dig through them to get to the pellets. Well, she pushed them aside, took a pellet withh some stuck on there and took a bite and squawked so loud and scooted away from her crock like something had bitten her! I mean, she won't go near her food bowl now, Harrison's or not. REally, I've seen 5 year old children do as much when the "Gross stuff" touches their favorite foods, but I didnt expect my bird to freak out at the taste of mustard greens! No success here. She hasn't returned to her bowl again this evening.
:roll:
Allie
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Postby Maggie- » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:27 pm

What a silly, silly girl! Many Greys LOVE that tangy mustard taste of the mustard greens. AND they are so extremely nutritious...but I guess it CAN be a surprise to get a bit of the tangy burn on the tongue! Funny story!!!

HUgs to you and Luna. How are you doing????

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Postby allie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:16 pm

Maggie,

I'm doing a bit better. Several days of improvement so I hope it means that I'm on the road to recovery and not just a blip of better days in a sea of bad ones. Luna has had a good bit of out of cage time on her tree and a few more flights than were good for me (but of course I was happy for her) and walked the ladder to the bed again yesterday. Consistancy is so important and I can see how my days of being "out of commision" affect our relationship. We always seem to have to start a few steps back when I'm back in action again, but that's ok.

Even on my bad days when she can't come out, with our mild weather, she usually can get rolled into the open french doors over the balcony and enjoy the sunshine, air, watch the birds and goldfish below. She usually falls asleep pronto when the warm sun hits her :wink: . She's getting baths in the sunshine even when I'm not well and that makes her VERY active! She even dunked herself in her water bowl on her own after I sprayed her the other day. She usually hates spray baths, but with her pin feathers coming in, I think she realized that day that it was a good thing she wanted more of!

We usually have half hour to one hour talking/whistling sessions every morning. She loves for ME to "Parrot" her. I've noticed she only does this if it's just the two of us; not around visitors. She's still shy.

I'm getting some help with providing her good foods (by requesting them for myself :lol: ), but she remains picky and stubborn as a 5 year old. My sister is having similar problems with her 5 year old human and food right now. I'm getting a skewer to see if that helps, but judging on how she avoids new toys for weeks before playing with them, I'm assuming food would rot on the thing before she got near it. Thanks for asking about us. We're hanging in there and having hope that we can still make a happy life together. I know she's getting better care than she had before.

Allie
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Postby Maggie » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 pm

Allie,

Luna is doing VERY well! WOW!

The shyness is VERY African Grey! They can tend to be "closet talkers." My Merle became a show off because I took her on public trips so often then. She learned she could control the room (and protect herself) by showing off.

Have a wonderful week! I'm so glad you are feeling better!!!

Hugs,
Mag-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions