baby goes violent

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

baby goes violent

Postby sidneys » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Sterlying is about 17 or 18 wks iold now, feed him 4 times a day and in the slow process of weaning. He is very lovable. He goes with me to work every day. Hes no more than 5 feet away at all times except at bed time hes put in a nite cage and perch all day, or wher im at ( he flys everywhere i go). Last week at work the bosses dad came to work with us, Dave. Sterlying loves Dave as he does everyone. Dave started puting him on his shoulder, when you take him off he screams and will bite. We till him no firmly, if it continues he goes to his cage for 30mins.
I moved this weekend, and he started getting real vocal and biting but no blood. Yesterday when we got home from work he would yell and act threatened everytime i walked by him, at bed time i went to put him up, We trouble i got him in his cage but he started screaming and fling him self aginst the back of his cage, i tried to get him out but he was so frantic and biting for blood, i was afraid he would break a wing. He was biting the whole time. In the past i used to rehibilate big cats, Lions, Bobcats, Tigers i can take a bite and not afraid of agression, so i firmly told him no, and calmly and as safely with him throwing him self around put him back in his cage. I left him till morning, thinking its the move and in the am he will be hungry and happy. No, worst if it could get worse. He is terrified, screaming ,biting, bringing blood, wont let go. Hes untouchable, he WILL hurt him self. Remember he goes every where with me, not afraid of new places, with me constantly, was so very very fine Wed of last week. Also I HAVE TO HAND FEED HIM, but hes histircal . HELP I CANT FEED HIM HE WONT CALM DOWN TO EAT!!!!
sidneys

Postby Maggie- » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Call me at 602-626-8927, if you need to talk.

Sounds like Sterling had a phobic reaction to the move and blames you. Something happened in the move that has terrified him.

Please do not force him to do anything. Do NOT force him out of the cage. Is there anyone whom he likes that can feed him besides you? He is too terrified of you to calm down right now.

Although you caused nothing, you are associated with it. This is not like working with other animals that you are used to. Sterling is a PREY animal.....and he has turned phobic. You need to find someone who can work with him while you slowly regain his trust. Please read the Spring 2002 download here and listen to my lecture on working with nervous birds. It will help you and Sterling.

Let Sterling stay in his cage. Do NOT try to get him out. Sit near the cage and tell him you love him. Keep the lights low. Is there someone in your home he can trust to feed him besides you? Is there a way to get food to him that is not associated with you?

Do not get upset because Sterling needs your strength. Be calm and positive. Find someone in your home to work with him while you get his trust back. Do not force him to go to work with you. Let him be in his cage. Keep things quiet and low. Help him feel more secure.

This can and will be overcome. Prey animals turn phobic when they are terrified in a situation. They lose their associative/rational perspective on things and revert to instinctive fear. Something in the move must have caused it. But he can overcome it. It may take many months.

Call me, if you need more help.

God Bless,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions