Outdoor enclosure

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Outdoor enclosure

Postby allie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:06 pm

My bird lived outside before I got her and since we live in Louisiana, I feel like there is a lot of temperate weather for birds to enjoy. I want to enclose one third of my very long 2nd story balcony for her. Since I live in Louisiana, I will have to use window screen I guess, to cover every inch to protect against West Nile. One of her previous flock mates, a cockatoo, died of the disease. I'd rather just screen it instead of taking her to the vet to have blood drawn to test for a positive antibody titer so that we could possibly go without screen.

Anyway, my options are to screen the outer side of the railing and roof edge and use 1/2" square hardware cloth (cleaned with vinegar first of course) to cover the inner side of the railing and roof edge. This would be super secure and prevent us from having to add extra supports to hold up the screen. However, I think it would cut down significantly on her view, and I really want her to enjoy our woodsy, wildlife-filled view.

The other way would be to use just screen and add extra wood supports to be sure that it wouldn't give if she flew into it or something. I seriously doubt she would ever attempt to scale screen since it won't look like a climbing surface like wire mesh does. She will be supervised at all times.

The dimensions are, I'm guessing, 15'x3.5'x10'. So my next need is suggestions on how to design such a long narrow "flight pen" for a bird who is flighted and flies strongly, but lands terribly. Should I just make it a climbing area and drop ropes from the ceiling, and attach perch stands to the floor? Obviously, I wouldn't want anything near the screen if it's just screen. Should I leave space for her to fly? IS there some kind of shelf I could buy or make that she could safely land on since she can't perch from flight. Should I pad the floor for her? So many questions!

Allie
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Postby Maggie » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:42 pm

Allie,

This area is totally out of my expertise. Just make sure the screen is strong enough so that she doesn't fly through. I have heard of a Grey that was lost....she flew THROUGH the kitchen screen door. That is why it is so important to keep things safe. I think safety is more important than her view. She can still feel the luxurious surroundings.

In addition to West Nile, you will need to be careful of the potential bird flu, that may or may not be coming. But if there are signs of it in your area, I suggest that you not let her spend time in this fly aviary, until the scare is over.

What a lucky lucky girl!
Maggie-
Maggie

Postby Maggie- » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:44 pm

A climbing area sounds like fun for her! Maybe that would be safer than a flight area.
Mag-
Maggie-

Postby allie » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:07 am

Thanks Maggie. I think I may go with the hardware cloth (wire mesh) plus the screen after hearing from you. I've recently read of hawks attacking birds through aviary mesh!! Their talons could still do damage, and we have tons of hawks around here feeding on our bird-feeder clientel.

I've ordered that thick "Supreme" cotton rope to make a good climbing jungle for her. She has more space to fly in my studio apartment, actually!

Thanks again,
Alison and Luna
The bird that lives with me is smarter than me!
allie

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:57 am

Allie,

If you have lots of hawks, be extra careful. I have heard of them killing birds in their outside cages. The bird panics and flails from one side to the other side of cage. Hawk reaches in and kills. I also have heard of racoons doing it. So, do be careful.

If you have lots of hawks attacking your outside birds, why don't you stop feeding for a while so the birds will go away and the hawks will leave? Then you can restart the feeding. I see it as creating a McDonald's for the hawks and it upsets me. I went thru a long winter problem with that. Once the birds start coming to your home to feed, they become dependent and are "patsies" waiting to be picked off. You are actually saving their lives by closing down the feeders for a while. I used to stop for 2-4 weeks at a time, when I saw that hawks found my home.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-

Return to Grey Questions