[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - Adopting a new bird with a Grey in the home

Adopting a new bird with a Grey in the home

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Postby zoocrew777 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:35 pm

Hi Maggie,

I wrote you recently about Kuka (in KY). I have not heard anything yet but I wanted to ask your opinion about adopting another parrot, in general.

I am considering adopting in the future because I want to give a good home to a parrot who really needs one, regardless of plucking or other behavioral problems. My husband and I have been blessed with a loving GAG and Senegal who are bonded with both of us equally.

We are thinking of (not any in particular at this point) senegal size up to amazon - most conures, macaws and cockatoos would be too loud for my husband (not sure about some of the smaller cookatoos though).

My question has to do with our 8 y.o. CAG, Pepper. He likes to be the center of attention (politely, of course). He is healthy (as is Oscar, our Senegal), happy and has no behavioral issues. I'm worried that if we did bring in a new bird, he might get jealous. I would feel terribly guilty if his wonderful personality changed just because I brought in a new bird.

Do you have any insights/suggestions/advice on this?

Thanks so much,
Jeanne
zoocrew777

Postby Maggie- » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi Jeanne,

I am truly an expert on this because I have gone through it. Please read my articles on the public article section of this site about introducing Merlin and Sweet Pea..and introducing the second parrot.

My Merlin was three when 10 month old Pea came along. Merlin got so upset that she started to pluck her tail feathers, which usually signifies jealousy, anger or something along that line. Then one day as I was hugging Pea, Merle blurted at Pea, "Yick! You're lucky!!!" and then pulled out her feathers. So, Pea had to live somewhere else for a year while I visited daily. The whole story is in my article.

The bottom line is that Pepper may get jealous. But if you continue to give him TOP BIRD status and not make him think he has lost his position in the flock, he will eventually deal with it.

I have also heard of Greys who are the TOP BIRDS turn out loving the new Grey in the house so much that they turn over the TOP BIRD status to the new bird on their own. But usually, the one who has been there FIRST must be treated with that same status.

TOP BIRD STATUS means giving him things first, acknowledging him first, playing with him first, talking about him first and putting him to bed LAST!

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie-

Postby zoocrew777 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Thank you so much, Maggie for your reply! I will definitely read those articles. Just reading your resonse, I don't know if I could take the chance because I don't have anywhere else to temporarily relocate the new one. I'll definitely read the articles. I want to make the right, educated decision.

Possibly a more independant bird (not a Grey) or none at all. I'll have to see after reading the articles. The good thing is - time is on my side! I don't worry about Oscar (the Senegal) because he just goes with the flow. I can take him to get his wings clipped or whatever and he's fine! Everything's an adventure for him and handles it with a positive attitude (except for when I have the cordless phone to my other ear - CHOMP - "Run for your life mom! It's going to eat your other ear!" ouch, LOL).

In any case, I'll be reading those articles!
Thanks, and...

GREY'T Blessings to you too! - Jeanne
zoocrew777

Postby zoocrew777 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:29 pm

:shock: Hmmmmm...

After reading some of the articles, perhaps the greatest contribution I can make to the birds who give so much to us is to keep mine as as healthy and happy as they are now! :D

I'm a sensitive person so I understand the "Grey Way" as well as other birds and animals' "ways" (I've done natural horse training and have 4 dogs). Given my sensitivities, I best not push the issue unless a bird find me (Maggie, I'm sure you know how that can happen when you least expect it). 8)

So...for now, I'll do as the Beatles say and, "Let It Be." If the Lord sees fit for another to join our flock, so be it. Until then...

GREY'T blessings 2ALL (sorry Maggie, I couldn't resist :wink: I love your sign off!),
Jeanne
zoocrew777

Postby Maggie- » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:32 pm

Jeanne,

That is the perfect way to look at it. My Pea came to me that way. The alternative place for her was hard. But it has ALL worked out and I now have three beautiful Greys.

If another bird is meant to come into your life, he/she will. Now that the Universe knows you are open to it, the right one will come along when the time is right. And the chemistry between the birds will also work out.

Maggie-
Maggie-

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Return to Grey Questions