Adopted 16 y.o.CAG

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Adopted 16 y.o.CAG

Postby Rebecca628 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi!
This is a wonderful website! About 5 weeks ago I adopted a 16 year old CAG named "Grey." We are (unfortunately) his fifth home, but we plan for this to be his last. He does talk and seems to have bonded well to me. He is stepping up on my arm some and feeding me. Friday afternoon I was working on a project while sitting on the LRM floor, and Grey strolled around for 2 or 3 hours. When he had explored everything, he came up close to my knee and wanted LOTS of scritches. (We had already gotten into the bedtime scritching routine.) He is accepting of my husband and my college age sons and daughter who (for now) live at home. The worst problem he has is pulling up fibers of the carpet. I've got a new playstand ordered that I THINK he will not be able to climb off, as he does his cage.
I'm sure I will be posting more questions, but I just wanted to say hello for now.
Rebecca
Rebecca628

Postby Maggie » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:02 pm

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome!!! I'm so happy to read that the site is helping you. Congrats on becoming Grey's pet human and vowing to keep him out of the "new home...new home cycle!"

There are stands that they cannot climb down. I find the ones with a straight pole seem to work. One of my guys can get down. The other can't.

I also found a way to stop my Sweet Pea from getting off of her cage. I put the painter's plastic sheet around the cage (the plastic that you purchase from paint stores to put on floor or furniture to protect from paint) ...attach by velcro and make it so that you can still take out the bottom drawer. Anything works. The key is that it is a barrier that they think they cannot get across. Pea had a habit of getting off of her cage and running over to Merlin's cage to attack her (sister rivalry). This HAD to stop and it did.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions