Articles

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Articles

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:53 pm

Hello Everyone!

Please notice that we have added a new section with articles. These articles are not being shown to the public, only to GPR members.

I hope you are finding the info in this membership section helpful. We now have the lectures, Spring 2002 issue download, articles, meets, and the Q&A. PLEASE ask questions on the board. I am here to help you.

GREY'T Blessings,
Maggie-

thanks Maggie

Postby gizmonel » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:38 pm

thank you maggie it has been very useful to me, been reading like a mad man with lilo making weird faces at me and saying NO NO!
gizmonel

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:23 am

Lilo has you all figured out!

What kind of information are you looking for? I can add more to the site.
Maggie-

P.S. We are going to add this link to the Grey site, but check out the hour radio show I was just on:
www.AnimalTalkNaturally.com

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:27 am

PSS: The talk show can be more directly reached here:

http://www.aspenbloompetcare.com/animal ... a-feather/

Let me know what you think!!!

articles

Postby gizmonel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:38 pm

hello maggie i am in need of some ways to get lilo to start eating balanced just as i am hehehe

he hates veggies etc. butl oves peanuts and fattning food, funny how i have lost 87 pounds and it seems the fat i lost is going to him lol so kinda worried lol i feel his body weight increase going to vet soon with him.

any tips? i have figured out human nutrition now its to slim down my fowl mouthed lilo lol

thanks for all you do maggie
gizmonel

Postby Maggie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:48 pm

Hey!

Go to the Helpful Hints section on the public site to get some ideas for getting Lilo interested in other food. The issue here is that birds eat food that they BELIEVE is food. In the wild, their parents teach them. If they do not know or think it is food, they will not eat. That is why if you try to change a bird from seeds to pellets COLD TURKEY, you will have a starving bird. Even if the pellets are the only things in the cage, the bird will not eat them...until he has been taught they are food.

So, you need to hang with Lilo and teach him your new lessons on what is good food. Sit by the cage and get REALLY excited about your fruits & veggies...mostly veggies. Then offer him some...but make sure he does NOT eat something from your mouth. We have bacteria in us that can harm, even kill, our companions...so NOTHING from the mouth.

I serve my guys a daily MASH of veggies and a few fruits. But I tried so many different ways until this one seemed to work. You need to keep trying everything.

You may want to spoon feed him something that tastes yummy like pureed butternut squash or sweet potato and stick some other veggies in to get some nutritious stuff inside.

Let me know if these ideas help,
Maggie-
Maggie

thanks Maggie

Postby gizmonel » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:53 pm

thank you maggie i will do that and let you know hehehe
gizmonel

Postby Maggie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:56 pm

Please keep everyone abreast of your process because the steps that you learn may really help someone else. That's why we all are here...to help each other.
Blessings,
Maggie-
Maggie

Return to Grey Questions