[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
AfricanGreys.com • View topic - STEPPING BACK WITH TBIRD

STEPPING BACK WITH TBIRD

Welcome to the Grey Play Round Table African grey Question and Answer Board. Maggie Wright, author of the Barron's Grey pet manual and creator of the Grey Play Round Table African grey newsletter/magazine, and Lisa Bono, African grey behavior expert, will be the two moderators to answer your questions. Please check out the areas that have already been dealt with... and submit your new questions.

Due to the incredibly high volume of SPAM, the board has been set up so that you cannot submit a question. Instead, please send me your question at merlin@AfricanGreys.com and I will post it for you. Then, both Lisa and I will post responses. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PLEASE send me your questions... we REALLY want to help you!!! merlin@AfricanGreys.com.

Wishing you GREY'T Blessings!
Maggie Wright

Moderator: merlin

Re: STEPPING BACK WITH TBIRD

Postby merlin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time adjusting to TBird. It sounds like somehow he's gotten the upper hand in your relationship. Leaving him longer in the cage will not solve the situation and continuing to do what you are doing is not working either. Start a log and write down exactly what you do right before T-Bird bites... then what your response is. We need to understand what is causing him to want to bite.

It sounds like T-Bird was not handled a lot in the previous home, so you need to work with him to teach him and better socialize him. Take him with you to a room in your house that he's not really familiar with. This is called a neutral room because it is NOT one which he feels is his territory. PLace him on a T-Stand perch and practice the UP and DOWN commands with him. Do you have my African grey book? It will explain many of the basics of teaching your new companion. Greys are different from other species, so even if you already know birds, this book (and others) will help you better understand how to work with this species (African Grey Parrots: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual).

It is hard to advise on a bird board when we don't know what activity is happening that is triggering him to bite. I suggest that you consider having a few telephone consultations with a bird behavior consultant... either someone like LIsa Bono or someone locally in your area. You are at a place with T-Bird where you need to establish ground rules.

The bottom line is that it sounds like you really love T-Bird. YES. You can work through these, and even worse obstacles, when you love the bird and are determined to work it out. If you don't, T-Bird is probably the type of bird that would be sent from home to home, with few people caring enough to help him. Since you love this little guy, DON'T give up! A Bird behavior consultant can help you with tactics that will help you with T-Bird, as well as help you build your self-confidence with him.

PLease keep working at it. You can write directly to me at merlin@AfricanGreys.com

Blessings,
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Postby Lisa A. Bono » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi. I just wanted to say hang in there. Its obvious that TBird is starting to trust you, otherwise you wouldnt be able to handle him.
I would read the recent bite when you stopped him from climbing you arm as his way of telling you that he was not happy with you for stopping him. Just like a little temper tantrum. What we have to work on is letting him know that biting is not an accpetable way to voice his little opinion.
I would love to talk to you on the subject. My time on the computer has been very limited the past 2 weeks due to life's little way of working out.
You can contact me through theplatinumparrot.com
and we can take our time and walk through a few things. Know TBird is just acting like a normal rehomed little grey.
Things can be worked through. It just takes patience and time, but its so worth it!!!! :D
Lisa A. Bono

Postby merlin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am

I just want to encourage you to hang in there. I had such a rough time with my Merlin when I first got her that I wasn't sure if things would ever improve. They did. Please read "My First Parrot" on this site:
http://www.africangreys.com/articles/overview/my_first_grey.html

T-Bird obviously really loves you and you can tell by the way he seeks you out. You are getting over the roughest hurdle of building the trust and relationship. Your next job will be in learning to set the ground rules with a grey and building your confidence. Piece of cake! LOL.

Again, hang in there. It will be worth it. I promise.
Maggie-
merlin
Site Admin

Return to Grey Questions